Best Blade To Prevent Razor bumps/Ingrown hairs

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by idan, Jun 25, 2017.

1. idan

idan Active Member

What the best blade to prevent/reduce Razor bumps and Ingrown hairs ???
    Thank you very much ...

2. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I am still working through blades but the best so for me has been 7 O'clock Yellows. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I would venture to say a better prep and improved technique before suggesting any one blade.

lightcs1776, PLAla and Stu929 like this.
  4. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Truth! I was actually about to add since switching I have not had a single ingrown hair. I don't try to stretch blade use to the max though. 3-5 shaves, first sign or tugging or feeling rough on the skin it gets tossed out. No reason not to, blades are cheap and no reason to tear your face up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

5. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Personally I do not have problem with ingrown hair, but if I have understood it right, it is because of too close shave. If this is true, avoid any blade tugging in your whiskers.

If a blade is tugging, then it pulls the hair up from the follicle on the first pass. On the next pass(es) you will cut the lifted hair and later, after the shave, the follicle will pull it back again. Like this you might end up with an "under-skin shave".

Further, I recommend to not go ATG. One friend of mine is having problem with ingrown hair and he says he can not go at all ATG because then the shave becomes too close.

So, get a sample pack of blades and try until you find the most smooth blade not tugging for you. I recommend you to try Feather, with a bit of extra care, as they are most sharp blades. Then you have a reference point of how a non-tugging blade feels like. What will not tug for you might not be the same as not tugging for me.

I have also seen some recommendations for creams to avoid bumps. Probably other will tell more about them as I do not remember the name of those creams.

PLAla likes this.
  6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Everyone likes a different blade for various reasons. You have to try a lot of them to find those that are favorites.

However, concentrate on technique first and foremost! Light pressure, proper blade angle, and don't try to get BBS. Let the technique develop and it will all come together.

Also, perhaps try a cold water shave if you haven't yet. Good luck!

Stu929 likes this.
  7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

To reiterate what's already been said. If you're having ingrown hairs, the hair is dropping below the level of the skin. That's usually an ATG problem. Try just going WTG, or if you shave like me, WTG/XTG (modified), and completely avoid ATG.

8. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

I like your attitude! I love the yellows!

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

For me personally, it's not the blade, but technique. I only had ingrown hairs from many of the multi-blades cartridges I used, with the exception of twin cartridges. Using a single blade (DE or SE, including injector) has never given me any ingrown hairs. But I guess if you give the razor more pressure than it needs, it can give you them. Just keep it light and improve on technique, just my two cents on this.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  10. Bookworm

If you go ATG, you can 'clip' the hair, and peel it a bit. (I need to draw some illustrations, and maybe make a couple of animated GIFs). So, it gets tugged slightly out, then sliced off, and at least a small portion of it can drop below the level of the skin. As the hair grows, the sharpened 'point' of the hair then digs into the side of the pore.

11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I think with a sharp blade, it wouldn't happen if done properly. With a dull or bad blade, the possibility is always there. A sharp blade wouldn't necessarily pull the hair, it would cut it off, and I have hair that is thick and course. Still, when I did have a dull or blade, it never happened to me.

12. Bookworm

It's hard to describe, and it happens more with those with curly hair. My sideburns were reasonably curly, but most of my hair is so straight that you could use it for a lie detector.

Think of it like this.

Take a straw, but imagine it's solid AND can move up and down slightly.

stick it into a hole. Now, take a blade at a 30 degree angle (imaginary, of course), and run it slowly into the straw.

Depending on how the hair reacts, it will either rise up slightly as it's being cut, or be pushed down. Either way, it's NOT a flat cut. It's an angled cut. The point of doing the WTG/XTG/ATG is to whittle the tip down so that you can't feel a sharp point. Remember that hair is also made up of scales, and that's a line of least resistance.

I _really_ need to try to grab some fur and my microscope and see if I can demonstrate. It won't work as well on tanned leather, I'm sure.

13. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

If your question is just about the blade, then the answer is to pick up a top 10 sampler from www.tryablade.com and test them, pick the one that seems to work best.

If you are looking for more general advice on ingrown hairs and razor bumps, here are some things to try
    • Cold water shaving
    • Shower after you shave, instead of before
    • Use moisturizer before your shave. Very small amount, rubbed in completely so it doesn't mess with your lather.
    • NO ATG shaving. Once you feel like you've go the rest of the process down and the bumps controlled for a few months, then you can start adding in ATG passes again to see if you can handle them.
    • Witch Hazel, applied with a cotton ball, does wonders for me.
    • Try a more aggressive razor. Counterintuitive, but works for me.
    • Toss the blade after 2 shaves max.

14. idan

idan Active Member

TNX ..
    Do you have more recommendations for ingrown hairs /razor bumps ??

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If you give each of @gwsmallwood 's tips a try for for two weeks each (try one for two weeks before trying something else) that's three and a half months worth of tips! And you want more?

16. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I've got more, I was actually trying not to overwhelm you. It took me almost a year to get mine under control. Good point though. Make sure you only change one thing at a time and give it a couple of weeks to decide on the next change.

swarden43 likes this.
  17. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

+1 on the cold water shaving. Also, I find that preshave oil helps. I like Shave Secret. I always use alum, even if I don't get any cuts, but I don't let it so. I just apply and rinse. I also like Bump Patrol after shave. As stated above, sharp blades are better since they don't pull and tug if your technique is right. I prefer Personna Lab blades. Also, don't shave against the grain. I'm not even able to go across the grain, but you might be able to.

I hope that didn't add too much confusion, but that's what worked for me.

18. brit

brit in a box

my ingrown hairs on my lower neck stopped when i dropped carts.i use a sharp blade and less passes,no atg on my lower neck and no issues so far.i also have started cold water shaving.so far so good.

19. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

I've had the best luck with Voskhod and not just cold... Ice water shave. I thought it sounded crazy when suggested to me but it works for my most sensitive razor burn / bumps prone neck in the world . I quit going for a ultra smooth shave on the neck. Usually only a WTG pass . Good luck

Bookworm likes this.
  20. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

For me it's the GEM Blue Star and Treet SE blades and Chinese Schlick injector blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk