Best Brush for head shaving

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by Mr_Anderson, May 19, 2017.

1. Mr_Anderson

Mr_Anderson New Member

I tried a semogue 620 and while I liked it overall it was much too small for a full head and face shave. I've found with head shaving that a bigger brush is much nicer, like my Parker Best Badger.

Assuming price doesn't matter, what is "the best" / your favorite brush for a full head and face shave?

2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I have a RazoRock Plissoft that does quite well. It is the last couple of photos on my Den. But, with that said, a good head lather is a real treat for me, regardless of the brush. Right now, I'm using a smaller Vie-Long horse hair brush and it does a fantastic job as well.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    How big is your head exactly? ;) Just kidding. Price doesn't matter, you said: Get a big, fat Simpson Chubby 3. byGME73.jpg

theFAT98 and SpeedyPC like this.
  4. Mr_Anderson

Mr_Anderson New Member

Yes the Simpson chubby is looking awesome, what's the difference from chubby 2 to chubby 3?

I've been leaning this way and was just wondering if any other contenders out there.

Normal size head lol but I love a good lather!

Primotenore likes this.
  5. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I really like my Stirling 26mm. Thinking about picking up one of Maggard's new 28 or 30mm synthetics at some point.

RaZorBurn123 and SpeedyPC like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Any one of the new synthetic brushes works great for me.

7. Mr_Anderson

Mr_Anderson New Member

I was at a shop today lokkkng at Kent brushes and they don't look as stiff as the simpsons. Leaning to the chubby 2 or 3! Where does the Manchurian badger fit in with the regular rating system?

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have made two 30mm brushes so far. They would be great.
    IMG_3857a.JPG

9. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

The 24mm WD boar knot I have is doing great for a full head+face shave. But maybe a 30mm might be better for you.

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am not sure what you mean by "rating system"?

11. Mr_Anderson

Mr_Anderson New Member

Sorry grade would have been a better term. There's pure badger, best, super, Silvertip... where does manchrian fit in?

12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

IMG_0195.JPG

Here's one for cost effectiveness ... my Brass Bruiser 24mm Synthetic
    Handle ... $2.99
    Knot ... $6.95
    Total ... less than $10

Of course I'm very cheap :rofl:.

13. Mr_Anderson

Mr_Anderson New Member

Well I've narrowed it down to 2: Simpsons Chubby 2 or H.L. Thater 4125. Honorable mention is the Vulfix 41S.

I could not seem to find any of the "Manchurian" badger for sale right now, I think I am actually leaning to just the best badger. All of my brushes seem to soften up pretty well with use.

Any input on the Simpsons Chubby 2 vs. H.L. Thater 4125 would be appreciated.

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My hubby likes silvertip badger. His brush is a 26mm. He's not a big guy, so this is fine for his face and also comfortable for his hands.

15. Yo Wan

Yo Wan Well-Known Member

I have a 30 mm synthetic Yaqi dedicated for head shaving.