Best brush under $40

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Joelio, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Okay folks: what, in your opinion, is the best brush you can buy for under $40? GO!

2. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I just love my Frank's silver tip from China I bought on Ebay for $27 including shipping. The $2.45-2.55 Horse Hair from BestShave.net a great way to add Horse Hair.

After much research, I am considering a Vulfix 404 Grosvenor Boar/Badger at $30.

It's great to have so many good choices.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Semogue or Omega

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Semogue Owner's Club is right about that. Arguably the best boar you can buy.

5. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

I'm no expert, but I like all the brushes I currently own, and none were over $40:

- Omega 10048, great big boar brush, goes for $10-15.

- Vintage Blades 2-band badger, probably my favorite brush, $35.

- Stirling Badger, currently on sale for $10, amazing deal.

- Vie Long Cachurro, horsehair, really nice handle, $20

I thought I had five brushes... which one am I forgetting?

6. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

With this brush do you have to wood or plastic handle. I like the looks of the plastic but I don't want a cheap feeling plastic handle (I already have one of those with the VDH "premium" that I started WS with!)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I only one one brush, a Vulfix 1000A. I think I paid $20 - $25. I have no idea if its the "best" brush, but it works just fine for me.

Troy M likes this.
  8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the Omega 49 Boar brush. You can probably find 4 of them for $40.

9. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

I have the plastic. It's pretty light and cheap. I'd recommend going with the wood.

10. WetShaveObsession

WetShaveObsession Well-Known Member

I was considering this brush as well (Vulfix 404). Then I found the Vulfix 10, which has the same exact badger/boar mixed knot as the 404 Grosvenor only with a cheaper (but better shaped IMO) handle and it only cost $22 shipped! If your not in love with the 404 handle this might be worth looking into.
    Also OP I might suggest this very same brush to you. I honestly feel it is the best value in a shaving brush on the market when it comes to quality and versatility. Vulfix makes fantastic brushes IMO.

gadabout likes this.
  11. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I would look at any brush made by Larry @ Whipped Dog.
    I have one of his brushes and would recommend it over any out there. www.whippeddog.com

12. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

I bought a Franks Silver Tip with fan shaped knot that is my go to, but it has lost a lot of hairs (at least a couple each time its used) and the ebay seller didn't get back with me when I reported this problem, so I can't say I recommend them.

13. ironthinker

If you think the vendor won't back up a Frank's Brush. Try Amazon. Amazon makes their partner vendors follow through. The brush is great and worth a "hard try".

14. ironthinker

If you think the vendor won't back up a Frank's Brush. Try Amazon. Amazon makes their partner vendors follow through. The brush is great and worth a "hard try".

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

SOC boar in wood handle is $26 shipped from VintageScent with the 10% coupon. Hard to beat

16. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Vie Long has a nice range to choose from including the horse hair with humane methods of gathering supplies.

17. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

I recommend a Semogue boar. A nice selection at less than $20.00. Great brushes; solid wooden handles; and no plastic. vintagescent.com has a great selection at the best prices.

18. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I have the VDH and the Stirling badger brushes. The Stirling brush is available in wood or plastic for the same $10. The Stirling also has a much nicer knot than the VDH. It's denser, softer and does not shed as much. It's a very nice brush for $10.

Having said that, I am loving my Semogue 1305, which has a wood handle. At $19 you can't go wrong with one of these either....

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Turkish #6 under $3 My Semogue 750 is a great brush! Great.....

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Tough for me to answer what brush is best as I prefer certain types of brushes for certain purposes. I like a stiffer boar-brush for hard soaps and for face-lathering, but prefer a softer, cushiony badger brush for softer soaps, creams and for bowl lathering. There are many excellent badgers under $40 (Semos, Omegas), and one can find some quality badgers and synthetics in that same range. Larry @Whipped Dog has some nice badger brushes that are priced quite reasonably, as are some of the Chinese brushes (Frank's, Lijun).

Lijun 'snowcone' badger...
    [​IMG]

ObiDon and RaZorBurn123 like this.