Best can shaving cream for speed & efficiency

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by ironthinker, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Guess cause that was the topic. but you have good suggestions !

2. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Another option is one my lady barber told me to try years ago. She suggested using my "Paul Mitchell" hair conditioner as a brushless shave cream.

By the way, you can use almost any hair conditioner if need a quick shave.

Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

To me there's no such thing as good foam or gel. I'm a brush, soap, or cream shaver. Sure, I tried Barbasol once but I threw it away after the shave. I had three shaves with Colgate and it seemed to be not bad, certainly better than with Barbasol but that can of Colgate also went in the trashcan. Oh, I once borrowed my friend's can of Edge Sensitive gel years ago and I hated the results of the shave. :( :(

4. smittywerbenmanjensen

smittywerbenmanjensen Active Member

I keep a can of Barbasol around for a quick shave with my Schick Hydro but with the canned stuff you only get to make one pass.

crackstar and Carbide Mike like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I reapply each pass. A golfball sized dollop each pass generously coats face and neck, for me anyway.

EzraCobb and Carbide Mike like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

which Colgate was it....regular. menthol??

7. Paul Turner

I must admit, I like how Foamy spreads easily.

Carbide Mike and gorgo2 like this.
  8. crackstar

Regular. The orange can.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. Paul Turner

oh ok....it was great shaving cream, I thought. Then Rise came along and said "you're good, we're better". which brought on the Colgate vs. Rise legal battle.

crackstar likes this.
  10. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Try this-

[​IMG]

It's a 400ml can. Sandalwood scent. It far out performs any other shave cream. They make a Proraso Blue as well. You can get trial size jars as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. Paul Turner

Looks nice, especially with the barbershop poles

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. crackstar

I thought the scent was nice and it seemed to give decent cushion but half way through my first pass I started to experience an intense burning sensation. I just cannot use canned foam or gel - it's that plain and simple.

13. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

My wife, on the recommendation of our daughter who's a make-up artist, got me a gift set of Elemis products for Xmas. Included is 'ice-cool foaming shave gel'. It's OK, very lightly scented and works better applied by hand rather than by brush. To be honest, I'm only using it because it was a present from my wife. Back to Proraso soon.

14. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

Thanks to the information on TSD, I found out that I really like a good shaving soap and brush.

But, when I don't make time to make my own lather, I use Cremo or Noxema in a can, (red or green can, both are good). Cremo is available in Menthol, too.

15. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I keep canned shave cream around for exactly that purpose.
    Two of my favorites are Nivea and Aveeno. Both of these provide a slick cushion and leave my skin well cared for after the shave.
    NiveaShaveCream.png 3670_TherShvGel_7_300.gif

16. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

Barbasol gets so much praise on this site...and I have NO IDEA why...its horrible. When you put Barbasol on your face, it dries like 1 minute later. Nivea is better, Aveeno is better, Gillette is better.

I think a couple of you guys work for Barbasol and Old Spice. I don't see how either one of these brands get any praise.:angry021:

Demidog likes this.
  17. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

How cheap..and how long does a jar of that last you?

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My experience is the exact opposite of everything you posted but I respect your right to your views.

EzraCobb, Bama Samurai and Demidog like this.
  19. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I've gotten good shaves with Barbasol. I don't use a brush and soap or cream anymore because I've been experimenting with growing my beard. Since I just shave my neck these days, that whole set up is kind of cumbersome. I use either shaving oil or Barbasol on my neck. I do however use a DE razor.

20. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

Do a test...put it on your face let it sit for about 1:30 and watch it dry!