Best German DE blades?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Badgerstate, May 28, 2017.

1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

What does everyone think the best German DE blades are? Ive tried Merkurs, Muhles, Timors and Wilkinson Swords and I think the WS are the best. Merkurs actually arent bad though, neither are Timors.

crackstar likes this.
  2. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

The most acceptable would be the WS, an average performing blade but has long lasting longevity. All German blades fall short when compared to the Gillette ones made in Russia

3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I've got experience only with the Wilkinson Sword. It was the first blade when I started on this journey. For me they are an okay blade. I get better shaves from either Voskhod, Shark or GSB.

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I tried Wilkies years ago and thought they were fine, but they never made my top 5. Merkurs are pretty much universally acknowledged (YMMV) as being slightly sharpened beer cans.

brit, PLANofMAN, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Out of the blades i have tried, I like souplex the best. The Merkur were good but over priced. It has been a long time and I don't really remember the Timor blades much other than I liked them.

Most of the time I use Russian blades as I was able to get them for a fraction of the cost of the german blades.

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

With me the Wilkinson blades start off very sharp and smooth but then they start tugging by the fourth shave. I never tried the Timors but I don't like the Merkurs. Yes, Russian blades are definitely superior.

jimjo1031 and PanChango like this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have to concur with what everyone else has said...WS are the best, But Russian blades are better.

My favorite blades are voskhods, Gillette silver blues, Rapira, and feather.

crackstar likes this.
  8. DRIVER_B

DRIVER_B Member

Agreed, well put

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

9. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Van der Hagen, I think, are the same as Merkur. I may be mistaken. But the Merkur didn't rip my face to shreds like the VdH. Haven't had much love for *any* Wilkinson blade. I'll stick to the Roosian blades.

crackstar likes this.
  10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Some guys may disagree, but I find the Voskhods and Rapiras almost identical in performance. Great blades.

jimjo1031 and Bama Samurai like this.
  11. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I disagree. I found Rapira and Nacet to be fantastic. Voskhod was the first blade I've actually removed from my razor halfway through a shave to throw away - in the shower, no less.
    :taunt002:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. Badgerstate

Ive tried VDH and they were good on the first shave but were toast by the 2nd shave.

13. Badgerstate

Thanks for the feedback, all. About the Russian blades, Ive got a few 100 packs of Russian Gillettes that Im working through now and theyre pretty good but I couldnt bring myself to use Russian blades all the time. With whats going on in the world right now, I have a hard time giving my money to support Russia. I know that America has its sins too, and Germany has a pretty dark past but I personally cant turn a blind eye to what Russia is doing right now. I dont mean to get all political and Im not trying to convince anyone else to not use Russian blades. Thats a decision you have to make for yourself but for me, I cant do it.

14. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

It's your money, you can put it where you want. Perhaps you should try Lord/Shark? The problem there is only the Muslims killing Christians for not being Muslim.

As for me, I don't think the profit margin on buying razor blades from St. Petersburg is particularly affecting the balance of power in the former Soviet Union States. I'm assuming you're also being careful not to buy from anywhere other than Western Europe and North America?

(I figure you can do that if you just check products out like I check out food at the grocery store. I have to be VERY careful with what additives they put into canned food, due to allergies and intolerances. I still can't figure out why 'onion powder' is put into everything that's supposed to be a -base- for cooking)

15. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I believe the Diamat Croma blades are German, but I may be mistaken. If they are they would be my choice, very nice blade, sharp and decent longevity as well.

16. richgem

I'm pretty sure they are or were Czech or somewhere in that neighborhood.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  17. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Ok that makes sense, seems a lot of blades are either from Russia/Eastern Europe, or Middle East.

18. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I'm neither politically inclined nor religious inclined at all, but I guarantee you that if Putin read what you wrote and knew you've spent ur precious 10 bucks on Ruskie blades, he will probably make a video of him wiping his ass with those 10 bucks.

I could care less about Putin or even the current US president or whatever other country president is out there, but what it ticks me off is the amount of brainwashing damage that has been done by religions and government bodies in order to screw with peoples heads. Think for ur self and stop running around like a beheaded chicken.

19. richgem

Let's keep this civil and non-political, gents. This thread is about blades, not about politics, religion, or ideologies.

Thank you.

PanChango and blashe like this.
  20. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Oh that would be lovely, but there is always that one person or more on every forum out there who are gone to lala land and coming back to reality is not an option for them