Best Hydrating Bar Soap?

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by m54daboll, Dec 13, 2015.

1. m54daboll

m54daboll Well-Known Member

I need some product recommendations for some good hydrating bar soap. I live in California in the summers, where climate is not an issue and I never thought I had sensitive skin. However, this year I moved to Boston for school and the cold weather/ heating of the buildings really seems to dry out my skin even with a lotion. Can anyone recommend a good quality hydrating bar soap that might help? Thanks!

Carbide Mike and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  2. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Dove pink bar of soap

Carbide Mike and Joef like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I use Dove Men + Care. Is it the best? No idea. I like it.

Carbide Mike, Joef and youngunn like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I know folks here rave about how great Mitchell's Wool Fat is for moisturizing. Makes sense, it's loaded with lanolin.
    Mitchell's also makes a Wool Fat bath bar. A bit expensive. I've seen it in a British shop we have around here for $11 - $12 a bar.

Carbide Mike, Robyflexx and youngunn like this.
  5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I like Dove Men + Care as well. I use the green variety (can't remember the scent). It's a great moisturizing soap for me.

Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  6. m54daboll

m54daboll Well-Known Member

Cool just picked up some of their red deep clean version to try out. Hopefully it will work well

7. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Dr. Bronners alllllllllllllllll day and night.

8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Emu or olive oil soap for winter dry skin. Nothing deodorizing or to stripping.
    If sensative goat or pure glycerin soap.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I have used it and like it perhaps better than the green variety. The red variety was set up on Amazon's subscribe and save for my family but then became unavailable. I then bought a huge pack of the green soap at Costco that I'm still working on. It's good stuff....I think you'll like it.

Carbide Mike, Robyflexx and m54daboll like this.
  10. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

You ever read that crazy talk on the label? I was taking a bath one night and decided to read the fine print on the bottle of castille soap. Man.

11. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have been using RazoRock Son Of Zeus bath soap, and it works well and feels nice and doesn't leave any residue. However, I don't know if it is the most moisturizing, but it doesn't dry out my skin which is good enough for me. If need be a lotion or balm could be used to correct any dry skin that may occur.

12. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

lol I have noticed this as well. Some of it sounds crazy, but some of it is trying to get us to all work together, which I guess could be a good thing. The toothpaste says "all is one" on the label.

13. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I've been using dove + as well. When it's real dry, I use plain old clear glycerin soap...it's boring but works great.. and there's always unrefined Shea butter...learned that here

14. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Dermasil - excellent for dry winter skin and cheap - you can get it at most dollar stores

Same goes for the Dermasil lotion - apply liberally after your shower before drying to lock in moisture

15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I like Stirling Sheep Soap. It's a bath soap, but it's so moisturizing that I use it as a pre-shave soap. Unrefined shea butter is also a great moisturizer.

16. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Yeah man. To icing the cake the CEO of Dr Bronners has a video on YouTube where he locks himself in a cage at the White House whilst cultivating hemp seeds from marijuana plants while police officers and firemen try to cut him out. Great soap though.

17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

+1 on the Stirling sheep soap. I have pretty good luck with all of their bath soaps, but my wife really likes the sheep's tallow based soaps.

Carbide Mike and wristwatchb like this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Soaps with shea butter work pretty well.

19. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Soap doesn't hydrate. A more accurate question would be what soap/cleanser doesn't dry out ones skin.
    I generally use Cetaphil on my face with excellent results. For a body bar, I have been making my own soap for some time.

When I make a batch, I can tweak the saponification of the acids to give me certain "moisturizing" properties. I can accomplish that by either a lye discount or by using specific acids which will remain unsaponified. Those unsaponified acids are left behind on the skin after rinsing. Shea, lanolin, and added glycerin are all appropriate for that.

So, in those dry climes, if one is using a soap that leaves no beneficial residue, you will perceive the dryness.

Many of the soaps and cleansers mentioned already are excellent at not stripping the skin of oils we need. Dr. Bronner's is amazing stuff, it's what got me into soaping. That $5 bar I can make for 75¢.

20. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

I like Brut Revolution bar soap. It is a glycerine soap, so it has some good slickness to it. I buy it at my local Dollar Tree store, 2 bars for $1. When it shrinks up too small to use in the shower, I put the leftover piece in a shave bowl and use it to shave my face with when I'm in a hurry. Works pretty good as a shave soap too except it dissipates fairly fast on the face. I love to use it on my body in the shower though.
    brut revolution soap.jpg

EnglishChannel likes this.