Best One-Pass Combo

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Straight Arrow, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Lately I've been appreciating the virtues of the one-pass shave. For most of our predecessors in wet shaving it was the standard method. I've been trying various combinations of razor and blade and have had mixed results. I'm wondering if any of you one-pass shavers can recommend the blade/razor combo that best maximizes the comfort and effectiveness of your shave.

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Gem 1912 + Pella

3. rainman

rainman New Member

For me the Gillette Red Tip with a Bic blade.

4. MaxP

MaxP Member

One pass?!?

Man, that's no fun!

5. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

+1 Or just about any Gem with a Pella.:D

6. Straight Arrow

Oh, but it is!

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Jay and I agree... But I might say that a lather catcher would be better. But definatly a SE.

8. Straight Arrow

By "lather catcher" are you referrng to the old Kampfe Bros razors?

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have two.. a 1908 Superior and a 1910 Gem... but I think we are talking about the same design. They are my favorite shaving razors.

10. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

The 1912 will do a 1 pass shave. I'm close with the Muhle R89 and an Astra Superior blade. This isn't a hurried shave, but a "taking time to smell the shave cream" kind of shave.

11. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I dont have any lather catchers. I need to give to give one a try eventually when I get my hands on one. The SEs do tend to take off more and do a more thurough job than DEs. I can do one SE pass with a new-5 or so shave deep pella and be fine. The same as I'd get with 2 DE passes. I'm talking WTG only.

The micromatics may give me a closer shave for a 1 pass but I dont particuarly like them. They, to me at least, seem to be much more aggressive and unweildy. Although I'll get satisfactory results, there always seem to be a couple blood spots in the chin area. Maybe chalk it up to being a newb with the SE. But I never have the problem with the 1912.

12. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

One pass shave? Not for me. Not near close enough for me to even feel shaved or clean for that matter. But you definitely feel different.

I need not less that two passes to feel right. So with that in mind I would pick (sorry Dave & Fuzzy) my undated Gillette Tech with a yellow 7 oclock blade. That razor seems to get me closer with just a couple passes than any of my other ones including SE razors.

Now on the topic of SE razors I have to second Fuzzy's appreciation of the vintage lather catcher SE razors. For a regular muti-pass shave they can't be beat. I have 5 of them and the '11 Elite GEM Jr is my favorite.

One final note, for me to get a good one pass shave I need to use the hated Gillette Fusion. Never gonna happen.

13. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

Have to agree.;)The R89 loaded with a decent blade mows a lot of whiskers down in one pass.:D

14. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

I believe a one pass shave is a one pass shave no matter what razor is employed.

That is to say, a WTG pass with a straight in skilled hands is akin to a WTG pass shave with a multi-blade cart.

Now with DEs and Str8s and so on, you're in control of blade angling to a consdierable degree and can accordingly can skin scrape and get superbly close in a stroke - but that's not the way we shave.

15. J T

J T Member

The Lost Art of the One Pass Shave

Futur with 7 O'Clock SharpEdge gives me the best results of any combo I've used going back to '64.

The equipment is still only half the equation.

16. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Can't be done the combo differs so much for each individual that what works for one will be horrible for another.:shocked002

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

My open comb slants have the best results after one pass, but unless I am really rushed, I still like to do 3-4. Why not, I enjoy it.

18. riffin

riffin Active Member

+1! There is no universally excellent blade-razor combo. If you have a combo that works well for you with multi-pass shaves, that's the best place to start. Technique and setting (if using an adjustable) are probably more important to the success of one-pass.

19. kevtex

kevtex Member

A Feather Portable with a new red pack Personna gives me a fairly decent one pass shave.

20. I'm gonna say a Gillette Tech with a Feather.

But I can't remember the last time I only went 1 pass.