Best Straight Razor?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Jim99, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

There's an active post right now around what is the best 3 piece razor. It got me thinking...

I've got 14 straight razors and they're all great! I think my best straight razor at the moment is my Charles Adam "fearless". It's a 5/8 carbon steel hollow grind and made between the 1890's to 1910. I love the bone handle, the fact that it hones effortlessly to a fine edge and provides great shaves. However, I've got a lot to learn about straight razors.

What does everyone think is the best straight razor, vintage or modern, out there?

Spyder, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It is not just the razor but the edge on the razor so how well the razor is honed can change my view of the razor.

But amongst my stable the most consistently awesome all around straight razor is my Mastro Livi Grifretto.
    IMG_2993.jpg IMG_3143.jpg

dangermouse, 45auto, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Ummmmmm.....pic???

Karl G, Spyder, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  4. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

For vintage, I really enjoy wade and butcher and old wostenholm. Dovo, thiers-issard, and Hart steel are fantastic moderns.

There are several "artisan" makers as well that are terrific.

This is by no means an exhaustive list. Ralf aust, filarmonica, dubl duck, and puma are also all considered top tier straights. I'm sure there are several more I am forgetting at the moment that could easily be added as well.

5. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I'm thinking...I'm thinking...:signs002:

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That's what I was considering! The ease and ability to hone the razor is definitely a factor. I have a couple that take quite some time to hone, while others hone up well in no time.

Karl G, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I forgot the picture! Coming up....

Karl G, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My honking skills are still just at an amateur level so I prefer a razor that is easy to maintain. It is one of the reason I prefer modern razors and new or slightly used. I am not great at overcoming issues with a blade.

Atticus, Karl G, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I agree with @Keithmax , the edge on the blade will make of break your opinion. I have a lot of blades, many are rescue razors, that most hear wouldn't have given a thought to buying. After many of these are buffed, and made presentable(for me), a good edge is put on them and they are all used. Some of my favorites are rescue razors that have taken a great edge.
    A razor I used last night was an $11.50 "Respect 4" American made razor. One of the finest shaving blades I have. It was a rescue razor, that cleaned up almost like New, and took a wonderful edge.
    So, don't get caught up in names, or looks, if what you are searching for is a great shave.

Keithmax, Karl G, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  10. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

As Mentioned Above..The Hone Job is Probably the Single Most Important Factor..I have Bought SRs from all over the World..I have Received Very Few with a Superb Shaving Edge..In Fact..One Japanese Honemeister I Got a Handful of Shave Ready SRs from Gave Me a Superb Shaving Edge that I Aspire to To..Every SR he Sent Me had a Darn Superb Edge..I Bought Swedish Steel, Solingen & Japanese Steel SRs from this Guy & they were All Superb Shavers..I Am So Glad I Came Across this Guy..:)

I Personally Prefer Vintage SRs to any Current Production Models I have Thus Far Honed & Shaved with..I Like a Wee Change of Pace with Various Grinds & Steel..The Constant within the Change is a Superb Hone Job..For Me Anyway..:D

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    45auto, Keithmax, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  11. DaltonGang

I like a challenge.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try try again".
    With Straights, I've found the really challenging razors help "sharpen" my honing skills the most. They make me think.

Keithmax, Spyder, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I could use this razor every day! It's maneuverable, lots of audible feedback, keeps a keen edge and it has always honed easily. I still love my other SRs, but this one is the most user friendly for me.
    IMG_2044.JPG

13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Just wondering if this is a rhetorical question? Can this be even be answered? Unless you mean to refer to a persons personal experience and their own stash...
    And not to hijack BUT (hijacking anyway:)) what are the opinions of modern vs. vintage razors? I have acquired four vintage razors (I haven't used them all yet) but am contemplating on getting a new modern razor...

Keithmax, Jim99, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Old, less expensive. New, expensive. For the most part, unless you look for one of the more rare vintage, that is pristine.
    Quality wise, name brand vintage blades are great, and reliable razors.
    For me, I like Vintage, for nostalgia sake, and cost. I also don't mind a little patina, that's just a little added character.

Keithmax, Jim99, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  15. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I don't think there is a best, so I am working on one of each.

16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Ultimately, I believe that's the situation most all of us are in, Adam :D

17. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Hehehehehe

Blonde Brunette or Redhead ???

Do you have a favorite Kid ??

Honestly the answer varies with the person..

@Jim99

What does the back of your tang say ???

RezDog, DaltonGang, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Easy: The blonde for fun, the brunette to take home to mom, and the red head ,for.........;)

TheFiveO, 45auto, DaltonGang and 6 others like this.
  19. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

Jim99, Karl G and Spyder like this.
  20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber