Best Tallow-Based Soap\Stick

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by idan, Oct 5, 2017.

1. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

+1
    On this selection

Yehuda D and Linuxguile like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

It does that so well, and I don't mind the scent.
    Yes, & yes.

Yehuda D, Linuxguile and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Veg as smelling salts?

Bird Lives, Yehuda D and BigMark83 like this.
  4. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I've not even smelled the veg yet. After reading "cat urine" I doubt I will.

Bird Lives, Yehuda D and Linuxguile like this.
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The Wilkinson Sword blue stick of course. Everything that the Palmolive stick should be, IMO!

Screwtape and PLAla like this.
  6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I used the Wilkinson Sword stick yesterday. Wow! Excellent lather. Really protective and slick. I tried the Palmolive stick earlier this week. It was fine but easily trumped by the Wilkinson.

And I used Pitralon Classic aftershave. So that's a shave right up your alley according to your profile signature!

Screwtape and Eeyore like this.
  7. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Stirling, please!

Well, hold on - there's nothing wrong with the Arko, Wilkinson, or Palmolive sticks either and I'll always keep Tabac in my rotation as well. Another fabulous line of tallow-based artisan soaps is OSP from the UK.

Bird Lives, Screwtape and PLAla like this.
  8. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

OSP?

9. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Yes. The Obsessive Soap Perfectionist in London, England. Wonderful soaps.

BigMark83 and mrchick like this.
  10. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

No love for Cella?

Yehuda D and BigMark83 like this.
  11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Not from me.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011:

13. Benny_Goodman

Benny_Goodman New Member

For performance, glide, slickness, post shave, scent, ease of lather, and skin feel, my favorite is Mickey Lee Soapworks. Truly the best shaves I have had, next to Mitchell's Wool fat. Soap was top notch, as was the matching aftershave splash. Hit it out of the park, in every aspect in my humble opinion, but as mentioned, everyone will find their own favorites by trial and error. New in my den is L&L Grooming's Tallow soaps, and matching aftershaves, another one I would highly recommend to anyone to try for themselves really.

14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

In my den, Stirling takes up the most space. I highly recommend you try one of the mutton fat soaps.

B&M and Mickey Lee are two others that I love, in terms of artisan soaps. Tabac and Arko have a pretty permanent spot on the shelf too.

Yehuda D and PLAla like this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I do have one Stirling (Clubman) and it's a winner.

Yehuda D likes this.
  16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

From their website http://ospsoap.com/:

"Dear customers, It is with a heavy heart that, due to personal circumstances, I have taken the decision to close OSP for the foreseeable future. I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for your custom and friendship over the previous 2 years. It has been a blast. Hopefully, this will not be the end of OSP. All the best. James."

Bummer. I was going to buy one of their soaps to see what it is like. My favorite shaving soap, Sego Lily, was discontinued. They only make bath soaps now. Aw well, I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.

17. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

Haslinger Schafmilch, Jeeves, Chiseled Face, Stirling, vintage Williams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. anaconda44

anaconda44 Member

Yup, all true. Very subjective.

As a matter of fact, your own preferences can change significantly within months. Lots of shaving forums and YouTube videos out there which offer recommendations from their experiences with an increasing number of shaving gear options. Discovering new shaving habits, techniques, and products is a big part of the enjoyment.

Case in point, I've been a wet shaver for a handful of years, but until Spring of this year I had only used DE razors (EJ 89 & Merkur Futur) and only used vegan-based creams (TOBS & Trumper). I had just one brush (a Parker badger) that was not just soft, but too soft, and very floppy.

Then, 4-5 months ago, I decided to splurge and bought a SE Mongoose II SS, which I really love, and tried using tallow-based soaps (First, DR Harris and then Stirling). Now, I really have no desire to ever go back to vegan-based creams (or creams in general) because I love the slickness, protection, and performance I've been getting from these tallow-based soaps.

I also bought an Omega Pro 48 boar, which was 1/6th the cost of my Parker badger, but does a far better job of whipping up lather and scrubbing my face for maximum effectiveness. Also bought a large Captain's Choice shaving bowl to enhance lather-building and finally ditched my conventional soup mug that I had been using for a few years.

All of these variables have really changed my shaving routine significantly than it was just 4-5 months ago and I'm sure it will change again as I experiment with other products.

So, yes, to reiterate, shaving is not only very subjective from user to user, but your own preferences can change drastically in just a short period of time.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Jorvaljr likes this.
  19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Don't trust that! It smells like Flowers! Lilac on steroids....I'm not saying your gonna like it....But it does smell like powdery flowers..When first splashed!

It's so inexpensive...try it yourself....It's worth it just to see what aftershave, Napoleon, John Wayne and Wyatt Earp had in common!

20. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Stirling, Barrister and Mann, Tabac.

I will point out that there are some incredible soaps that are not tallow based. You shouldn't limit yourself to just tallow.

Drygulch, Eeyore and DesertTime like this.