Best Tomato?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Michael, May 12, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I'm thinking of planting tomatoes this year, since I can never seem to find decent ones at the market. Anyone have any recommendations as to which variety would be the most flavorful? Thanks!

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I always liked better boy's. They're resistant to the bottom rot that a lot of tomatoes develop. What's your primary use for the tomatoes (sandwiches, pasta, salad, etc)

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Eating them! :drool Really, all of the above. Curious though - why does that make a difference? Do some varieties cook better while others are better uncooked? Pardon my tomato-ignorance. I know what I think tastes good, but not how to get there!

4. sparky5693

Administrator
    While any type can be used for any purpose, there are some more specific tomatoes. If you're doing salads, i'd look into a cherry tomato. For pasta i'd recommend a plum tomato. I'm kind of a sliced tomato guy myself. Sometimes nothing beats a tomato and mayo sandwich.

The gardening standby for tomatoes is probably the "big boy". Like most non hybrid tomatoes they develop blight (where the bottom of the tomato rottens just before the fruit becomes ripe. The better boy I mentioned is a very common hybrid of the big boy, which is designed to combat blight. The fruit is ever so slightly smaller (but a slice will usually cover sandwich bread), and usually produces about 1 pound tomatoes.

Given the growth rate, and usable fruit per vine (no blight) I highly recommend better boys.

5. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

+1...Good call. I even had good luck growing these in half-barrel pots.

6. MaduroMan_wcp

MaduroMan_wcp New Member

see if you can find heirloom variaties, they aint as pretty but they by g_d taste like 'maters

7. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Thanks guys. Went looking today and found none of the above. I'll try again tomorrow or next weekend. If still no luck, I'll just settle for something else.

I did come home with rosemary (didn't catch her last name ;)), thyme, oregano and cilantro. We'll see if I can grow herbs at least.

8. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

I'll also vote for heirloom tomatoes. Cut about an half an inch thick and toss 'em on the grill!

St. Croix

9. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Good luck on the hunt. You might want to talk to some of the produce people at the food store. They sometimes have a line on who sells plants locally. They don't like the stuff they sell in the stores either.

10. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I keep forgetting about this...there's a farmer's market every Saturday in a town nearby. They've been doing it since I moved here in 1908 or so, yet I've never been. As I understand it, if you aren't there by 4AM, there's nothing left, BUT if you're there early enough, if it grows, they'll have it! And cheap!

Maybe I'll just stay up late Friday night.........

11. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

You have got to get out more often!

St. Croix

12. Jim

Jim The Goose Is Loose

Grape tomato's are tasty for salads and easy to grow, Jellybean and sweet 100's are two that grow terrific and they are OK in pots on a terrace or patio.

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Oh come on!!!! You're killing me Michael! :eek: :rolleyes:

14. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

The results are in. Here's what I got...
    Better Boy
    Early Girl
    Heirloom (Mr. Stripey - is that a name or what?!)
    Grape
    That should more than cover it, I think. :drool Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

15. sparky5693

Administrator
    Gotta be getting close, how those maters doing?

16. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Close to what?! Just planted them a couple of weeks ago. Plus it's 59 degrees right now! 59! In June! And lots of rain.

Cold, rain, not much sun...I'll be lucky to have tomatoes by October at this rate! At least all the plants are still alive.

17. Will

Will Nevermind

Relax, have a few. :: :D

You will have some tohmatos in no time.

18. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Right. I have a farmers's market about 1/2 mile away! :D

19. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I probably won't see tomatoes for 45 days. It has not been good tomato growing weather recently.

20. sparky5693

Administrator
    Lol.... Sounds like mother nature wants you to buy your maters. Hang in there, those early girls will be along before you know it.