Better Late Than Never

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by rocksalt, Mar 5, 2018.

1. rocksalt

rocksalt Member

This is not my first post! Thanks to everyone who has helped me out on the Russian Razors thread in the straight razor forum.
    I tell this story to people all the time, but usually to convince them that they should start wet shaving. I have been proselytizing wet shaving since I started, but this is my first go at talking to other folks that already apreciate it.

My wife bought me an expensive ($250 +) electric razor for Christmas because I hated shaving with my disposable razor (Mach 3's, maybe?). It was an improvement. The shaving heads were replaceable (and expensive), and lasted about a year. All was well for the first couple of years, but after my second head replacement The "fancy" model heads were no longer available; the manufacturer simply replaced the heads with the "cheap model". My $250 electric razor was now and forever would be a $60 razor.
    I cussed and swore and gnashed my teeth and basically got so fed up with "Big Shaving" that I swore they would never get another red cent from me.
    I discovered wet shaving, and after using a cheap double edge razor for a week I cursed my father and grandfather for neglecting to teach me this incredible but basic "man skill". After several DE's I settled on a Merkur Progress.
    Sometimes I shave because it's necessary, without intending to enjoy it, and sometimes I lather up with the intention of enjoying a good shave. Either way, I am more satisfied when I am done than I ever was with the garbage that had been peddled to me as shaving before that. I curse and swear swe gnash my teeth much less that I used to.
    I have gone from hating shaving to loving it. I am pretty uutilitaria though. Wet shaving doesn't make me feel nostalgic or cool. It's simply the better way to do it. I never thought that my shaving journey would progress beyond teaching my son to shave (he's 3 years old and has had several full wet shaves, minus a blade). But there was always this little whispering voice in the back of my mind that said "It could be better still". Well maybe it can. I have my first straight on the way and intend to give it a shot.
    The first engineering project I ever worked on, the chief engineer rebuked one of my suggestions by stating "Perfection is not when you can add nothing more, but when you can take nothing else away". If sstraight razorshaving doesn't fit that criteria I don't know what does.
    Like so many things in life the most simple is also the most complex. I am going to need a little help learning all the aspects of this one, and will be glad to keep preaching the blessings to those poor souls that are still uninitiated.
    Thanks to those of you who share your knowledge, and to those of you who work to keep this site running so that the next generation doesn't get scammed by "Big Shaving".

Jayaruh, brit, 9nein9 and 11 others like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Welcome. Great read there!

9nein9, RyX and Dansco like this.
  3. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Dilly Dilly! Welcome to TSD Neighbor!

9nein9 likes this.
  4. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    :)

9nein9 likes this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs046: @rocksalt, from western NY, glad you decided to join us at TSD.

9nein9 likes this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you. Like you I don’t find it nostalgic it just the best way to shave for me.

9nein9 and RyX like this.
  7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

9nein9 likes this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

9nein9 likes this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    9nein9 likes this.
  10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

9nein9 likes this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Welcome to The Shave Den!

9nein9 likes this.
  12. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard the good ship TSD

welcome-to-our-group-meme.jpg

9nein9, CarlfromMO and RyX like this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @rocksalt

I hope you enjoy it here. Your just the kind of member we need, you will fit right in. A lot of good straight info and straight aficionado's on here, so enjoy. :happy088:

9nein9 and RyX like this.
  14. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Rock On!
    :signs046:

9nein9 likes this.
  15. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Welcome!

9nein9 likes this.
  16. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

Welcome. Lots of great people here with information to share.

9nein9 likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @rocksalt! From your avatar, I'll assume and thank you for your Service! Don't be shy about asking shaving related questions. Lots of friendly folks will offer opinions, advice, even actual information!

I enjoyed your story about the planned obsolescence built in to modern shaving gear. It's the same for so many convenience enhancing machines. They'd have you always upgrading and buying the latest model because the old one can't be repaired or parts aren't available. By dropping into the historical side of shaving there's a sustainable, reusable, built to last paradigm too many were never exposed to or forgot about..
    You are a good Shaveangelist!

9nein9 and sdguero like this.
  18. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Welcome from South Dakota!

9nein9 likes this.
  19. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

And @RyX is the TSD wordsmith! Bravo!

9nein9, RyX and Dansco like this.
  20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat