Better shaves as a blade gets older?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tommy_C, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

Have y'all ever noticed that a blade will shave better on the third or fourth shave than on the first?

I am just now trying my first 5 blade pack of Derby Extras. I was a little disappointed in the first blade. I seemed to get a LOT more razor burn than I am used to. I persevered and went on to the second blade. It, too, was a pretty rough first shave. It was a close shave, but a ton of razor burn. As I continue to shave with it, however, my shaves have gotten much better. This morning I had my third shave on the same blade, and I got a really, really good shave with little to no razor burn at all. I don't know if the Derby is just much sharper than other blades I have used, so I have unknowingly been improving my technique and that's the reason why I'm getting better shaves, or if it's just that the blade's performance gets better when it's been used a little bit. That feels counter-intuitive, though. I would expect the blade to perform worse over time, not better.

Any ideas or suggestions? :confused:

Thanks.

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

This is common. I've only noticed this with a couple blades (Feather and Silver Star), but some guys find this common. For me, the best shave is always the first or second, but some get the best shave as far as 3 shaves into a blade. This started some guys on corking a blade before first use, supposedly with good results (others do this before or after every shave - on the theory they are honing the blade). If this is common with most blades for you, you might search corking on this and other shaving forums. If not, pick a different blade - I'm not buying 100 feather blades for a reason.

3. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

Hmmm.... I don't think I could stay with a blade that I would have to intentionally go through a couple of unsatisfying shaves to get to the "sweet spot". I started wet shaving to STOP getting razor burn, not knowingly subject myself to it.

Still, I am going to finish using all 5 blades. Hopefully, it's just my continuing to improve my technique that's making the difference.

4. asagage

asagage New Member

Has anyone else had this experience with feathers?

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    That's what the corking is suppose to be for. To skip the first few bad shaves.

"Corking" search results. http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/search.php?searchid=667762

6. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Yes, corking can be a good thing!

7. That's like buying a greatest hits CD. If you only hear the good songs you don't appreciate true quality. So have some rough shaves to appreciate the good ones ;)

8. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I dont have this problem. The first shave is as good as the one before the last. I usually only do 3 shaves, except with the gillette sweedes.

9. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I pretty much get great shaves from the first one on a blade. But I need to be really careful with pressure and technique on the first couple uses of the blade. After that I can be just a bit more careless without drawing too much if any blood.

I have noticed that as a blade dull I tend to use a bit more pressure to get a BBS shave. When I notice that, even though the results are as good as shave one then I becomes time to change blades. The last couple blades I have used, Polsilver Stainless and the Yellow 7 O'Clocks have given me up to 14 shaves before having to be discarded.

10. djwurm

djwurm New Member

I find that the best shaves are the first 2 with a feather blade. the 3rd shave is usually when I start to feel while shaving that I need to change the blade. During the 3rd shave I get one or 2 nicks but during the first 2 I didnt.

11. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

Well, I happen to love greatest hits CDs. ;) I hate having to buy a CD and suffer through a lot of crap songs to get the 2-3 songs I want.

12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

it's depend a lot too of your beard, yes?

13. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

Most of the blades I've tried, after day 3 it is time to change blades. With Feathers, 2 days. Vintage Schick and Gillettes maybe 7 to ?. I am mowing a coarse grade of steel wool. Jeff is right, depends on the beard.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The beard I have is very strong, so after 3 shaves, I need to change whatever brand of blade I use. Any more than that with the same blade, I might get an irritation.

15. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

shaves 2 and 3 are always better than number 1 for me.

16. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I have had a similar experience with Derby blades. The best shave comes on the second or third day, and the shaves start to drop off dramatically around the 4th or 5th day.

I have had similar results with Crystals. I've gotten good shaves all the way up to day 5, and could have gone further but didn't want to risk it. I haven't used Feather blades in a long time, but I think they'd do the same as Derby and Crystal. My problem with Feather blades is that they tend to nick randomly, no matter what day of shaving I'm on.

On the other end of the spectrum, Treet Classics are a two shave only kind of blade. The first shave is awesome, the second shave is bad, and I toss before the third shave.

17. Larry T

Larry T Member

Blades

I have had the same problem with Derby and Feather blades. Now, when I use them, I pull out one of my Gillette adjustables. I'll do the first shave or two with the razor set low, say 2 or 3, then increase the setting for subsequent shaves. I can usually get about five good shaves out of either brand. My beard is prolific, I shaved twice a day in my pre-DE period, but not particularly coarse.

Larry

18. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

'eh... if a blade is not "good" for me right out of the package, then I'm not buying.

Cheers.

J

19. BullGoose

BullGoose Well-Known Member

Yes...I was just discussing this with my dad (who introduced me to wetshaving). I have been using Red Box Personnas and shave #3 is always the closest most comfortable shave. So far I have been changing blades after the 3rd shave but think I'll try 4 to see how the 4th shave goes.