Better than a Black Beauty!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Deniz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Deniz

Deniz Member

Hello All!

I have used my new black beauty for a few weeks now, and was wondering what is a better DE than this?

I am still trying to use the different settings to find out what My face likes the best.

I know opinions will vary, but I am just seeking a great comfortable shave, so all opinions are welcomed!

Thanks everyone ;)

2. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I love my super speeds, my EJ, merkurs, love my gems. Am very fond of my flair tips.
    I own many different makes and models of various design and year but my all time favorite is my 1969 long handle black beauty.
    Im sure everyone has their favorite, thats mine.
    In my collection of oved 40 razors, its the one I dig the most.

3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I would try an open comb. Read a couple of the current OC threads in the Safety Razors section for ideas of razors. The range is from very mild to Black Widow.

However, before doing that, you may want to stay with your current razor for 30 days until you get your technique down .

4. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

The Gem mmoc is a sweet oc, aggressive but very smooth.

5. Deniz

Deniz Member

What setting do you run your Black Beauty on?

I keep a clean shave, so wouldn't an open comb be useless for me? :signs002:

Not being smart, just curious:signs001:

6. CyanideMetal

Not sure what you mean?

7. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

For my cheeks,3 passes wtg,atg and xtg on 6 or 7.
    3 passes on my neck, same directions on 9 but I have very tough weathered skin with zero sensitivity (30 years offshore)
    And I grow a full thick beard clear to my eyes in 2 days.

I cant tell a difference in oc or cc but then again my face is basically a baseball mitt.

I used to think oc was more ahgressive because my Gems are oc and are very aggressive but I have other oc's that are so mild I dont even use them. My BB is cc and on 7-9 its PLENTY aggressive.

8. Deniz

Deniz Member

It is my understanding that open combs are for combing through a beard while shaving

9. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

The benefit of an adjustable is of course, the versatility.
    I hear awesome things about the futur but thats 1 razor I dont like the looks of and dont own. Ive been kicking around the idea of trying one and still might one day.

10. Deniz

Deniz Member

I am still trying to learn ATG... It feels like shaving with sandpaper When I go ATG :(

I can go ATG on my cheeks no problem, but my neck... PAIN

11. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I drag an open comb through a heavy growth just like a cc and the only difference I can feel is OCASIONALLY the open comb will grab knots in my beard if I go more than 2 or 3 days before I shave. To me its just a matter of looks. I REALY cant tell a difference.

12. CyanideMetal

No, an OC razor has "teeth" where the typical solid bar would be as in your BB. Open Comb razors, I think, give a different shave because the geometry of the head can vary. For example, the Gillette New (long comb and short comb) are mild razors but give very good shaves. On the flip side, some of the more aggressive razors are OC, for example, Cadet, R41, Fatip, etc.

For me, I get a much differnet shave with an OC vs. a Solid Bar razor, but nothing wrong with either. It's just variety.

Watch the angle of the razor. Sounds like you're holding the razor too shallow to your face.

13. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

If it hurts try dialing down to a 3 on your BB, if you have sensitive skin on your neck try one of the super sharp blades so you cut more with fewer passes. (gillette silver blue, feather) you might try going xtg (across the grain) before you go atg to reduce more stubble as well, less to drag.
    Also, keep a sharp blade, a dull blade will hurt too.
    Most of all friend first dial back the bb for your neck.

Cyanide has a good point as well, be mindful of your angle, it makes a huge difference.
    Imagine trying to cut a stick in half with a knife at a 90° angle, then at a 45° , get it.

Are you pressing too hard when you go atg on your neck maybe? Dial back your razor and lighten up your touch. Im sure if your angle is good, youre dialed back a bit and you lighten up, you'll see a huge difference.

14. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

I think Cyanide and Cool Breese both bring up good points. I would suggest working on your technique at one setting for a few days, don't change your setting everyday. I to use the black beauty and think it is the best razor out there. I will use it set on five when I want to do two or three passes. Sometimes I set it on eight when I want just one pass wtg. And that actually gives me a good shave, not great, but good. I have never tried for a bbs shave. I think my bb is the best razor I have, followed by the Schick HydroMajic.

Dave

CyanideMetal and Cool Breeze like this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

What's a "cc"? Do you mean safety bar razor as opposed to OC razor?

16. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

closed comb, safety bar, which ever you frefer

even the closed comb have teeth, smaller and not cut all the way through but grooved to channel hair, closed comb

17. Deniz

Deniz Member

Thank you all very much for the advise! I'm sure my issue is technique on the neck... I can't seem to go Xtg on my neck area due to the geometry of my build. I'm a slim guy and my neck has a lot of curves... I use virtually no pressure, but I am definitely trying to work on my blade angle. I have it down fairly well with, so I'm sure it will just take some practice.

It's good to hear I have a very good razor as my starter as well!

Thanks so much guys,

Deniz

18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    What blades have you used?

19. Deniz

Deniz Member

Gillette 7oclock, Astra, and persona

20. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Define "better".