BIC blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Nov 26, 2010.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I strayed away from using my usual fantastic Israeli Personna blades today and used a BIC Chrome Platinum blade which I received from a member in a lot of blades to try.

This was one fine shave. Color me impressed.

Just thought I'd share.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

They work for me.

3. IAmTheJody

So I've finally been able to use a BIC blade full-time and am constantly impressed. Tonight's shave makes shave number 6 on a single BIC blade and all 6 shaves have been BBS (baby butt smooth for newbies). No cuts, no nicks, no weepers, no blood. A fine blade made in Greece (not France, which is where BIC is headquartered actually).

Now, I've always spoken very highly of Israeli Personna blades.. they give awesome BBS shaves but I've never been able to make one of them last past 3 shaves. Looks like I'll be weeding out the IPs and replacing them totally with BIC... in a month. See, I ordered 100 BIC blades today - before this 6th shave on this BIC blade - from the usual seller on eBay. But apparently he didn't keep up with his inventory and notified me that they were out of stock and it would be 4 weeks before he got them again. He had 2 different listings for "100 BIC blades"... but didn't know he was out? I checked and sure enough, he's removed both listings. But he still has a listing for "50 BIC blades" with "More than 10 available"... so why can't he send me 100? Hrmmm. Anyway, at - so far - 6 shaves per blade, I've got enough to get me by a month at least... But if he don't carry them anymore, I'll be sticking with the IP blades because BIC blades are premium priced from the usual online retailers. One thing about this seller on eBay.. the price was right for sure at 100 blades for $18 shipped. Someone is selling 100 on Amazon for $40.95 shipped. West Coast Shaving has 100 for $19.75 plus probably $6, $7 shipping.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'm glad they work for you Jody. I may have a tuck of them at home, but may have already passed them on. If I do, I will send them your way. I tried them and they were just awful for me. I really wanted to like them as I was fond of my Bic Metal before I found DE's, but they were really tuggy and didn't provide a good shave.

5. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I found Bics to be decent and workable, but rate them as "average" compared to several other blades my face and wallet liked better. Glad you found your blade.

6. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I've found the BIC blades hit-or-miss sometimes. I've gotten some great shaves with them, and then other times the encounter was "replace the freshly opened blade and toss it immediately after the first stroke" (actually, that only happened once, but there were a couple of times that I only shaved once with the blade).

Hmmm, that's only 3-4 bad experiences now that I think about it, the rest were average to quite good...about my same experience with my previous favorite blade, red pack Israeli Personnas.

They're worth a try if you get an opportunity. Like PanChango, I really wanted to like them a lot due to my affinity for BIC Metals, perhaps I had my expectations too high at first.
    It's been a while since I've tried them, I think it may be time to dig one out for tonight.

7. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Bic blades work great for me as well. For awhile they were my everyday go-to blade, though recently I've been re-discovering some blades from my past. As of now I've been on a Feather kick, and so far they've been living up to their hype, but it's comforting to know my trusty Bics are ready on stand-by.

8. mycarver

mycarver New Member

I'm in the Meh, category. Tried them in a few razors, not totally jazzed but they took off hair. Not memorable, but not bad. Tossed the blades after a shave or two but not anxious to load up another.
    Everyones results may vary. Give 'em a go or you'll never know.

9. sol92258

this is absolute wet-shaving gospel

he's a poet, and wasn't even aware :rolleyes: :D

10. mycarver

mycarver New Member

Correction, the line should have read,
    Everyone's results WILL vary! LOL,, That's a given with this stuff. Opinions on products are like bellybuttons,, everyone has one. Good, bad, innie outie....

Yeah, I'm a poet and didn't even know it.

11. sol92258

See? The man's a jeen-yus! :D

12. bic the blades have a good reputation here in Italy you can buy on the Internet at 9 € 100 blades, more '€ 11 shipping, not bad I'd say ....

13. IAmTheJody

What web site do you buy them from?

I should also note that before each shave, I palm strop the blade. I do this with all blades I use. But even though I palm strop, as I said, I can't get an Israeli Personna, which I really like, or any other blade I've used past 3 shaves. Not the case with BIC.

And yes, as with every thing in wet shaving... your mileage may vary. For example, people love Feather blades and Feather blades are regarded as the best blade available.... I don't like them myself, enough to not justify the premium price they sell for. I love BIC blades, other people hate them. Some people love Red Pack Personna, I think they are inferior to Israeli Personna. But that's part of the fun we get out of this... trying new things. :cool:

14. DonR

DonR Active Member

Last week I used one for the entire week in my Sheraton. Probably could have gone another day or two without problems. Not my go to blade but not a bad one either. YMMV

15. IAmTheJody

Good razor too, that Sheraton. I love my Senator (for newbs, its the same as a Sheraton but it's nickel plated instead of gold plated) and it was the one I used the most until my British open comb Aristocrat arrived last week. Thanks for the reminder.. I think for my next shave, I'll drop the BIC into my Senator and see how it goes.

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'd keep an eye on that eBay seller. That's cutting things a bit close on the time Paypal allows you to file a dispute.

17. IAmTheJody

Sorry, I should have been more clear. When he notified me that they were out of stock, he asked if I wanted a refund or wanted to wait. I took the refund and said I'd buy again when he has them again.

18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Ahhh....good.

You think he's gonna jack the price up, though? Cause you said he has 50 blades listed with 10 or more available, right?

19. IAmTheJody

I don't think he will. He's not known for doing things like that. But anything's possible I guess.

But now that I went back and looked.. he only had 1 "100 BIC" listing, not 2. The other "100 BIC" listing is the other seller with the similar name and I avoid him since I've never dealt with him..

20. Jody I left you a private message