BIC Chrome platinum Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TimUsmc, Sep 16, 2011.

1. TimUsmc

TimUsmc New Member

This is the 3rd brand of blade I have tried behind Derby and Sharks. Terrible shave. I just couldn't get the blade to perform even after multiple passes. Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience? They seem to have good reviews. Could be just this combination of my Parker and these blades.

SHAVEWIZARD420 and GDCarrington like this.
  2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

cant say I have tried them, derby's work for me as do feather. you are prob best getting a blade sampler pack from TSD store and a pack of voskhod as they seem popular.
    its good that your trying different ones it may take a few tries to find your best combination as YMMV.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I would not go out and buy thousands of Bic like I have Voskhod, but I found the Bic to be a rather decent blade.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No problem for me with Bic. It's Derby I can't get along with.

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'm not a fan. I wanted to like them as I regularly used the Bic Metal disposable in the past.

They just didn't work so well for me.

6. Destutt de tracy

Destutt de tracy New Member

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I don't think that there QC is very good. For me the shaves range from barely acceptable to awful.

battle.munky likes this.
  8. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

The test I had of them showed them to be good, but if they a QC problem that would explain a lot and it wouldn't be a YMMV item, more like TMMV.

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Never liked the Bic blades, just didn't suit my face and/or technique.

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    What's that stand for?

11. I have not found anything wrong, there 'worse, as there is' better .. I think the question "skin" for each of us is much more 'important than the razor or shaving cream, and consequently that' good for me, not good for you, that's all ...

12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

As we all know, blades are a YMMV thing. I love the BIC blades and have never gotten a bad shave from a single one. Always sharp and smooth for me.

13. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I've used the BICs. Not too fond of them either.

14. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Bic blades gave me inconsistent shaves, ranging from "barely OK" to "bad." Since I had 10 other blade brands that worked much better, I saw no need to reorder them. Perhaps I will revisit them sometime to see if the blade, or I, have changed.

15. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

Their mileage may vary

16. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Work great for me, they do. (Sorry Jody, I couldn't resist the Yoda reference).
    Then again, Derby, Shark, and German made Wilkinson Swords work well for me. Some people swear by some blades, others swear at them. Look at Derby. People either love them or hate them.
    I have about 6,000 Derby blades. Yep, I love them.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  17. Sam D.

Sam D. Member

Although it is clear that YMMV, I am surprised that so little people mention the razor they have used with the blade, although it is striking that some blades perform poorly in some razors, whereas they deliver an exquisite shave in other razors.

As far as the BIC is concerned, it is remarkable in one of my razors, a Rasex, a swiss vintage brand (now discontinued), while it is nearly awful in a SS Flare or an EJ 87. Quite surprisingly, while that blade may not be the smoothest in the world, the sensations felt a few minutes and hours after the shave place the BIC Chrome Platinum among the very best and I am looking forward to finding further razors in which it will perform well.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  18. Sergio Avalos

Sergio Avalos Member

Bic Chrome Platinum haven't worked out for me. Lots of pulling and tugging and many weepers. I use a Merkur 33C, Taylor of Old Bond Street shave cream and Gillette Gel After Shave. The Bics made my AS burn. Which has never happened before. So far my top three blades are; Polsilver Super Iridium, Voskhod Teflon and Derby Extra.

Keep trying new blades and take notes you'll find your perfect blade.

19. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

I didn't have luck with those either. Try the Treet platinums if you haven't yet. They worked well for me.

20. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

So many people seem to love the Pol-silvers. It's a shame that they're ceasing production on them but I hope that this isn't a sign of things to come. I've been tempted to try them but I've been avoiding them because I don't want to get attached to a blade that will soon be in short supply.