BIC Chrome platinum Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TimUsmc, Sep 16, 2011.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Bic Chrome Platinums were some of my most hated blades.
    A few of solid go to blades have always been :

Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows
    Personna Lab Blues
    Voskhods

2. Sergio Avalos

Sergio Avalos Member

Still a good supply of Polsilver out there. I have stashed away a few for special occasions. But I can still get them online relatively easily.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Demidog likes this.
  3. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Gillette also produces the Wizamet Super Iridium blades. I'm not sure how they compare to Polsilver because I haven't used either.

Demidog likes this.
  4. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

The BIC Chrome Platinum was one of the blades in the sample pack I've been going through. Only tried the BIC one time with my Merkur 34c. It actually gave me a decent shave. Nothing to write home about, but a middle of the pack performance. Certainly better than Derby which I have tried a couple times - not impressed.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  5. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

I used Bic for quite some time, but I have moved on because I think there are better blades at a better price to be found. The Bics are sharp and I found them to feel"stiff" if that makes any sense. I could get some weepers with them if I were pushing.

For someone who likes Bic, I think Rapira Plat Lux would be a good, better priced alternative. If my memory is any good, I think they are in the ballpark of one another in terms of sharpness and smoothness.

If you want a mild blade, I could recommend Dorco ST-301. I use these when I've been scraping my skin too hard and I need to give my skin some relief. They are super cheap and come in a nice plastic case which can be reused for safe blade disposal/recycle.

I tried a Ladas this morning, and I got a crazy good shave from it. Sharp and smooth. I will be testing for the rest of the week to see whether that opinion sticks.

6. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

BICs work good for me, too. I could throw Astra, Derby, & Dorco in the rubbish bin and not miss them one bit.

7. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

I got a decent shave with a Fat Boy set to 5 and also a 1950's Ball-End Tech. But not one of my go-to blades.

8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I just tried the Ladas as well. Making my way through a fairly large sample pack of blades. The Ladas are now in my top four of the 25 plus blades I've tested so far. Sharp enough to get the job done but very smooth. A truly excellent shave.

drone115b likes this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Revisiting an old thread here but I find these blades to be phenomenal. I think they're displacing Permasharp as my go to blade. Smoother than the Permasharp and sharper on the initial shave, they're the best head shave blade I've tried. I don't get how such a large number of folks can't use em.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

10. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

I like them also. Only used 2, but they were really good for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Zombie thread, but whatever... These are awesome blades for me!!! Just grabbed a few in a trade for some Treet Blacks with @jimjo1031 very nice trade and very nice blades!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

To read the comments on Amazon you'd imagine these were the worst blades on the planet. I don't know if there are QC or counterfeit issues with these but I'm finding them for fifty cents/tuck in SE Asia and plan to buy em all.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Never used 'em, don't plan to. Moot point.

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Cool story bro. Thanks for the insight (????).

jsw41 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Anytime.

BigMark83 likes this.
  16. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I tried these a few years ago and like them for the most part. I think a sample is in order.

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Truth be told I'm learning to pay little attention to individual blade reviews and recommendations. Beyond the accepted, and objectively proven facts that Feathers are initially sharp and (older production) Derby's are not, unless the recommendation is coming from your identical twin, everything that falls between these two blades is anybody's guess how it will work out for you.

BigMark83 likes this.
  18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Interesting... Mine are made in Greece. Are they made elsewhere???

19. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

So Derbys have gotten better ?

20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Derby Extra is now both sharper and smoother i read.