Bic Chrome Platinum

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaltonGang, Jun 1, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have found a blade that I feel is totally useless.
    This blade is the Bic Chrome Platinum.
    I obtained a few of these on a blade exchange, a while back, and thought I would give one a shave.
    I had a nice slick lather made, with some Arko, after the shower. I wasn't able to get two strikeouts this blade, before I decided it needed to be tossed. It was a truly painful experience. I could feel each hair being tugged. Not fun.
    I then switched razors an used a blade I was going to get one or two more shaves before tossing. An almost worn out blade felt better than a new Bic Chrome Platinum blade.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

You know what they say. YMMV..

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You may want to reserve judgement and try another sample. You results were not typical, it may have been a bad blade. Bic is one of the sharper blades out there, tugging is unusual.

4. DaltonGang

I will try another tomorrow.

5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

It may be that Bics are not for you.

I also dislike some blades that are loved by many. It's a very personal thing ... just read the varying opinions on the several Russian blades to see how diverse we are ;)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It wasn't the blade. It was the Arko :taunt002:

7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

My ARKO screams out in fury!

:p

8. DaltonGang

Arko, rocks. As does my FatBoy razor. Just don't blame the user. :)
    I'll repeat the Bic shave tonight, with another blade.

Bama Samurai and AGHisBBS like this.
  9. DaltonGang

Round two, with the Bic Chrome Platinum. New blade, same setup.
    This time the shave went well. It's not the sharpest, or smoothest blade I have, or have tried. But, it's a vast improvement over yesterday's blade. I will see how many decent shaves I get from it.
    Overall, it feels like a Bolzano Supernox to me. It's a shame a horrible blade got by quality control. That can sour people on their blades, fast.
    Thanks for getting me to give it a second try.
    If others here have used these blades, what are your experiences?

Bama Samurai, BigMike and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

You're a good sport man, wish I would have had your luck on my second go with Derby's, BRUTAL!

11. DaltonGang

I have a few packs of Derby blades I haven't gotten around to trying yet. I might give them a go, later this summer. As a matter of fact, I have a lot of blades I haven't tried yet. It might be a "Summer of the New Blades".

PickledNorthern likes this.
  12. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

My experience was similar to your second try. For me they are decent but not exceptional. I don't hesitate to use them but they aren't in my top 5.

13. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

This exemplifies why I always recommend that folks get at least two of each blade when they're sampling. I'm of the opinion that there are few bad blades manufactured these days. Less than stellar? You bet. Absolutely unusable? Haven't seen one yet.

DaltonGang and Robyflexx like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I bought a tuck of the Bics to when I was sampling through a ton of them. I thought they were okay. Didn't get excited about them, but put them in my Dopp, and am slowly using them. I probably wouldn't buy more, but if they were all there was, I could live with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robyflexx likes this.
  15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Talk to @NCoxSTL... he can point you to some absolutely unusable ones. The Tiger-3H comes immediately to mind.

NCoxSTL and PickledNorthern like this.
  16. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I had a couple of packs of Bics (yellow pack) I found them to be really inconsistent in their quality control. One blade would be decent then the next was horrible and tuggy. Never tried the Bic Astor (red pack).

DaltonGang and Robyflexx like this.
  17. DaltonGang

The Bics I tried were In the yellow packs. I will not be buying any after this.
    Consistency is a big factor in my blade selections, that's why Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows, Personna Lab Blues, Feathers, Voskhods, and Personna Med Preps are my top five blades, in that order.

18. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

7 months experimeting with blades and I'm still weeding out the good from the bad. I sort of liked the Bic chrome platinums through.

19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I think you have a good feel for it now, I think it's very much like Bolzano as well.

20. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Not the best blade I've tried but got acceptable results using a Long-Handles Black Beauty and also the Fat Boy.