Bidded on a Gillette Adjustable razor- waiting to see if I'm going to win.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

What is an SA?

Congrats on the win.

I have yet to try my grandfather's Slim but I have tried my father's Fatboy. I do like the Fatboy. It easily indicates the blade contact and speaks fathoms of the condition of the blade IMHO.

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Super Adjustable. AKA Black Beauty.

ninjack and lightcs1776 like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

@theguitarshaver559 , try it on a low setting, maybe 3, and work your way up progressively by one till you find the setting that works best for you.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The price difference might have something to do with the fact that Fatboys were only made for three years, and Slims were made for seven. Rarity does play a factor in price and availability. I'm not saying that popularity isn't a factor, but Fatboys were always more expensive than Slims, even before "forum mania," simply because there are at least three Slims out there for every single Fatboy.

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I understand supply and demand. Yes, it makes sense they should go for more than Slims. It's a better looking razor and there are indeed less of them. However rarity is simply the wrong word to use with either of these razors. At any one time there are 120-150 Fatboys available on eBay (vs in comparison 59-60 Black Beauties, 25-30 Red Tips, or 30-40 Fat Handle Techs for example).

Given that, I don't believe "scarcity" plays a significant role, rather it's the constant repetition of this false story about their rarity told on forums that largely drives demand particularly among newbies. There are so many great razors out there at reasonable prices I wince every time I hear the ubiquitous Fatboy described in Holy Grail terms or see a boxed FB selling for more than a Double Ring. Sorry but it bugs me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    For every one like that ^^^, there are three dozen others, selling for under $100.

Bidding fever or shill bidding probably accounts for that sell price.

jimjo1031 and Jorvaljr like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Median sales price regardless of condition is $50-$55 versus, for example $26 for a Red Tip, $30 for a Black Beauty (Done the math). Just since December there are dozens of FB sales over $100, SEVEN over $200 just in the last month. Again, same period there were zero US Red Tip sales and one Black Beauty sale over $100. "Under $100" for a common razor (almost as many FB sales as Techs) still strikes me as purely a function of forum mania and hoarding of the nicer pieces but I've said my peace on this.

8. jimjo1031

Yeah, that was way too much. Maybe if it was all original and unopened in the package, maybe.

9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Try $250. Not sealed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I'm spoiled I guess. Two of my three vintage Gillette's were fleamarket finds. My NEW SC was $5 and my SA-109 was $1. I've used the Bay as a research tool only. Once the fleamarket opens for the season, I'll be on the prowl for whatever happens to be out there. Half the fun is the hunt.

11. jimjo1031

Haven't had much luck finding good razors around here locally. But at least getting mine on Ebay wasn't too bad. Razor (G3), the case was a trade with local thrift shop and blade case still came out to less than $35.00 total.

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I agree. I honestly think we do a disservice to newbie wet shavers if we fail to discourage their getting caught up in eBay madness and razors as "investments". Friends don't let friends pay $100 for a Fat Boy and make them think they've got a rare piece that needs to be hidden away because investment.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    People will pay what they will to get something that they really want. Who are we to tell them how much of their money they should spend? My FatBoy was $50 and it's a beauty. Would I spend $100 for a FB in a case with instructions? You betcha.

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Because we are a community of shaving enthusiasts not real estate salesmen and newbies come to forums looking for advice that's why. And your desire to throw $100 at a cased Fatboy makes it harder for the next guy who has $50 or $75 and doesn't already have a Fatboy. Supposed to be a community here, that's why BST exists and should be supported.

No need for bold type.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I don't hunt, so I enjoy stalking the elusive vintage razor. Then I have the satisfaction of cleaning it up and shaving with it. I considered having a plating job done on my NEW, but decided against it 'cause I figured I'd be less likely to use it. I like shaving with it too much to let it sit. As far as the money thing goes, who am I to tell somebody how to spend their disposable income? There is plenty of info out on the Interwebs as far as prices go. Buyer Beware!

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I've given my opinion to your last bit above. I don't think every man for themselves advances the community or the hobby as much as offering advice based on experience and knowledge. The forum BST exists as an alternative to eBay only so long as we accept that it's not all about capitalism.

17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Exactly why I wrote this:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/how-to-sell-a-safety-razor-online-or-on-ebay.47102/

Though I could have just called it "what to look for when buying a used razor." Either title works.

jmudrick likes this.