Big Easy Soaps?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Tiredricefarmer, Jun 21, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sounds like someone I could support!! I gotcha beer.
    Looking forward to seeing how you like it!

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  2. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

:rofl: Dont spill any, I may need every drop! From the sound of his voice I'd say he's all Cajun!

RyX likes this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!!!!

RyX and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  4. BigEasySoaps

BigEasySoaps New Member

Hey guys! This is Chris, the owner/operator/sole proprietor/mastermind behind Big Easy Soaps & Tinctures. I'm really glad to see some interest in my products. I really enjoyed speaking with Kevin yesterday and I can't wait to hear his thoughts on the Purple Haze soap he ordered.

I know some of the original "hype" was about my 221B Baker Street scent, and in that regard I have some good news and some bad news. A few months back, I reimagined all of my soaps and gave them all a New Orleans theme. As a result of this, the 221B became a casualty of not fitting in. I decided that I would instead make the 221B a yearly limited release every year on February 21.

However, there was a lot of chatter about the scent on YouTube videos and in Facebook groups, so I decided to do one last batch of 221B that will be releasing on July 15. I currently have a "complete kit" available for preorder. This includes a tub of soap, alcohol-free after shave, and a bar of bath soap that would also make a great pre-shave soap. I told Kevin that if he likes the performance of the soap, I'd gladly add an item to the shop to order just the soap.

I saw you guys also like some burn in your post shave, so I'm happy to tell you I am currently in the application process to get my permit to sell alcohol based after shaves, for which I have already developed and tested a formula.

If you guys have any questions, you can leave a comment here and I'll check back or you can email me. I can't put the email address in the post because of forum rules.

Kaladin, RyX, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Hello Chris and welcome! Looking forward to hearing more about your products.

Tiredricefarmer and RyX like this.
  6. Tiredricefarmer

Just found a great review given by 120inna55 from January. I bumped it for anyone interested in reading it.

RyX and PLAla like this.
  7. Tiredricefarmer

Welcome Chris! Glad to have you as a member!

RyX and PLAla like this.
  8. BigEasySoaps

BigEasySoaps New Member

Glad to be here! I'm glad you guys found Matt's (120inna55) review. I wasn't aware he posted it here.

RyX likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Welcome, Chris! Nice of you to join us and partake in and add some clarity to the discussion.

I invite you to have a look here: TSD Vendors
    An ideal way for makers of fine products to participate in forum activities concerning their wares.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome Chris @BigEasySoaps. Glad you joined TSD.
    Thank you for considering an alcohol based splash!

There's a Private Message feature (PM) available that folks can use, or right here in this thread.

Tiredricefarmer and Bama Samurai like this.
  11. mpontiff

mpontiff New Member

The soap bases are definitely worth doing some homework and googling about.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Something bad about them?

13. Tiredricefarmer

I received my order of "Purple Haze" from Big Easy Soaps this past Thursday. Been putting this off till I gave this soap a fair try. Please keep in mind I'm still new to wet shaving and have only tried 4 brands of soaps. Proraso green, Love My Skin, Razorock XXX, and Stirling, with Stirling being the best. So these are what I've had to compare it to.

I'm 4 shaves in on this soap and can barely even tell I've touched it. The scent seems heavier in tone, kind of like the XXX is. I like it. It's a scent that I have to open and smell every time I walk into my bathroom just like I do with the XXX and Stirling. This soap is slick, and takes very little to load my brush and get the nice creamy, slippery lather I like. Although I do have to work it a shade more than I do with Stirling, and it may take a bit more water, it's not a problem.

The cushion and glide from this soap are top notch. I would rate it right with XXX and just a bit under Stirling. I've gotten great shaves! Post shave feel, remarkable! It's above the XXX and right there with Stirling, maybe a tad better, I just can't decide. I did notice when I used an after shave balm the post shave feel was like nothing I've felt before, so smooth and soft! Took my girlfriend to Memphis yesterday and she couldn't quit touching my face, lol.

To wrap this up, IMO. I put this soap above Razorock XXX, and a notch under Stirling. However, it's nipping at Stirling's heels, HARD. It belongs in my rotation and it will be. I'll be ordering more when the 221B Baker Street becomes available again this month along with the after shave, and possibly one other scent, C.B.D. I think.

I now understand why Chris LaBiche is so proud of his product and he's gained a new costumer in me. It's a good one and if his scents intrigue you, try it, I don't think you'll be sorry.

Last word: I have in no way been compensated or paid for this review. It is what it is......just my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    RyX likes this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thanks for that. I might just have to hook up some of this!!

RyX and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  15. Tiredricefarmer

I hope you do. I think it's worth trying and would love to see what people here think about it.

RyX likes this.
  16. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

I believe that is what Strop Shoppe named their splash that matched with Baker Street.

Not a fan of reusing names from other artisans. I know it's tough for staples like Bay Rum but you can change it up a little.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

17. BigEasySoaps

BigEasySoaps New Member

Strop Shoppe's soap was called Baker Street and their after shave was called Formula 221B. When I announced the 221B Baker Street fragrance, Strop Shoppe's incarnation was a dead fragrance as they had gone out of business. 2 days later, Stirling announced they were resurrecting Baker Street.

Thankfully the 2 smell nothing alike.

Kaladin, Tiredricefarmer and RyX like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Cumberbatch vs Downey.jpg
    The quality of the soap and the lather it makes would be a point of discussion subject to YOMV. Can an you offer a contrast/comparison of the scents?

19. BigEasySoaps

BigEasySoaps New Member

I've never used Strop Shoppe's Baker Street (or the Stirling version which is supposed to be the exact same). However, I've been led to believe it's a very juniper forward scent, with hints of bergamot, patcouli, and jasmine. You won't find anything like that in my soap. My soap is a blend of 2 different tobacco scents, black tea, and what I call "opium" or "oriental spices".

The only thing that could maybe be similar between the 2 is there might be a hint of jasmine in the "oriental spices", but it's not a very forward scent in either soap.

Stirling' Baker Street will be bright and fruity. My 221B Baker Street will be musky and powdery with a very forward tobacco scent.

To use different Sherlock, Baker Street is Benedict Cumberbatch's. Mine is Doyle's original incarnation of Holmes: chain smoking, opium addicted, tea drinking sociopath who ended up on the right side of the law.

20. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

I think the only thing left is to send me a nice tub so I can test both.......

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk