Birth Year Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Slivovitz, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

There have been threads and posts on this topic before, but I thought I'd start a new one.

It may not be that big a deal to own a razor that came into the world the same year that you did, but it has an appeal for some of us. Here are mine, from 1957, a C4 Super Speed and a C1 Tech. That's a Weishi box the Super Speed is in; I kept it when I gave the Weishi razor away.

I have injectors and SE razors which could have been made in the same year, but there's no way to know for sure.

[​IMG]

2. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I've been collecting razor from my birthyear, as well as my father's and grandfather's birthyears.

For 1976 I have a Black handled Superspeed (W1) and a Super Adjustable (W2)
    For 1955 I have a Ball End Tech (A3), Flare Tip Super Speed (A3), and Blue Tip Super Speed (A4)
    For 1927 I have a New Improved - Tuckaway
    Need to start on 1929 for my other Grandfather

I'm trying to collect one of each type made in those years, so I have a few more to go still. Once I have them, I'm going to make a nice shadow box display of them.

3. bc9

bc9 Member

If I were to collect a birth year set I'd have to track down a toggle. I'm too cheap to purchase a toggle at the going rates so unless I see on at a flea market for $5...

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I do think it's cool, but I'm not a collector in the "collector" sense of the word. I just accumulate. If I come across a razor in the wild (I don't e-bay) that happens to be from 1962, it's a bonus.

5. Garyg

Garyg Member

Yep, I've both Black Tip Superspeeds from that year & quarter, the steel & aluminum handles. I don't/can't use the Techs, and gold razors don't do it for me, so I have just the two. I'm sure one of the G Schicks was built around then, as well as one of the GEMs

6. nyfinest

nyfinest New Member

Frustration

I've been trying to find a fourth 1/4 1975 SS for a long time now.. Still no luck!!!:mad:

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Unfortunately, they stopped making Old Types about 40 years before I was born. I really don't have any interest in anything Gillette made in the early 70's. I think it's awesome if you can find a decent shaver from when you were born.

Not to hijack your thread, but what always got me thinking was picking up a 150 yr old straight razor and getting a good shave from it. It is pretty amazing how much things have changed since the mid 1800's.

8. Hi there,

I'm guessing you'd be looking for a 1958 vintage razor. If that's the case you could always pick up a TV Special superspeed for not much cash.

Martin

Oh, here's a pic of the D1 found at a flea market for silly money, which now resides in my shaving arsenal:

Attached Files:

9. grignak

grignak New Member

I recently purchased an I2 (1963) Slim that I like to think was assembled on my birthday. Only thing is, I'm still such a newbie that I haven't graduated from my 40's style SuperSpeed. Oh well, soon.

10. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I really like the idea, but amjust casually looking.

The only dating mechanism that I know of is for the Gillette razors.

I don't keep the Gillette dating codes in my head, so when i do look on e-bay, I have to look them up again.

I am not sure how to date anything else, so I just rely on the seller to have that info.

I will definitely be interested if I see the right dates.

11. Diamondtim

Diamondtim Member

I am fortunate enough to own a D4 Fatboy and a D4 SS Red Tip.:D

12. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Stingray gave me a '52 Steel Black Tip last year for my birthday...The added bonus is, it is a GREAT shaver...That and my Eversharp Schick I2 Hydro-Magic Injector are my too favorite razors in life...:)

13. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I managed to aquire both a birth year/quarter Slim and Tech purely by chance. :)

14. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Dates

Where is a good site to find the Gillette date code information?

15. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Several places on the web. Here's one.

16. bc9

bc9 Member

Actually my birth year/qtr would be F2...toggles are sweet, but like I said I'm cheap...

17. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Thanks!

Thanks for this!

18. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

There is always the Tech and the Flair Tip Super Speeds.

19. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

The Tech, Blue Tip, Flare Tip and Red Tip are all B1, my birth year and quarter.
    The Gem Feather Weight and Schick I1 and I2 razors were the current production razors in 1956.
    It is cool having razors made the year you were born in.

[​IMG]

20. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

It is cool...and I see Tom hasn't forgotten the birth year Schicks....very cool...:)