Birth Year Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Slivovitz, Jun 17, 2011.

1. MHDena

MHDena New Member

I'm 1956 too, which ones have a bigger diameter handle than the Super Speeds?

2. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Of course I wouldn't, they're way too good to not be included!

I'm not sure exactly which ones you're referring to exactly, but of the Gillettes the Red Tip is slightly bigger than the standard Flare Tip and Blue Tip and it weighs a tad more as well.

3. Hi there,

You might like to find yourself a Diplomat from that year. Some of these were variations on a theme, with two tone handle knurling being the odd part.

I'll include a pic of one dated B2.

Martin

Attached Files:

4. MHDena

MHDena New Member

That looks more what I had in mind, I have EJ de89, so any handle of a similar size will do. My month is March also is B2 the 1st quarter?

Thanks

5. HoosierTrooper

March is B1.

6. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

I primarily collect vintage Gillette razors so I don't pay attention to other brand razor date codes. I can only speculate as to what razors were made in the year of my birth since Gillette didn't date razors when I was born, 1938. So it's possible to have an open comb Aristocrat, Senator, Sheraton or late "New" during that period. I have examples of all those razors.

Len

Len

7. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

The one issue here is that how do you know which razors were manufactured during you birth year?

I am pretty young so it just says DE. Nothing about which models or anything just DE.

8. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

Research.

When it comes to the Gillette razor and when they were made one of the best sources is "The Complete Gillette Collector's Handbook" by Phillip Krumholz.

Or a source of just about any razor made is the Waits Compendium.

There are also online sources like this.

http://www.safetyrazors.net/gil_ser2.htm

Of course if you don't want to put in the time to do your own research you can also ask a question here and probably get a very detailed answer within the hour.

Len

9. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

That is where i have looked. It just says DE nothing about TTO or tech or knack. I believe that the only DE made during my birth year was a Knack... But i am not sure I will do some more research if I remember when I get home.

10. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

The Knack was made between 1966 - 1975

Super Adjustable 1969 -1986

The English and German Slim Twist 1986 - 1998

Len

11. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for that info.

I hope I don't find one... already spent too much on razors the past month. More than doubled my razor collection. :D

12. HoosierTrooper

Another good resource is Achim's site www.mr-razor.com
    Scroll down and look under razors.

13. cryhavoc

cryhavoc Member

I would like a birth year razor. I've been eyeing 1970 SS's. 7/4/70 would be P3 right?

14. ezmike

ezmike New Member

I think it's cool to own razors with some personal significance so the first one I tracked down was my birth year and quarter Gillette SuperSpeed, an August 1956 model in it's original case with the original Walgreen's price sticker on it, $.77 in the day.

Sorry, no photos, maybe later.

15. Hank

Hank Active Member

So I read this thread a couple days ago and it's taken me this long of thinking and pondering and processing to respond. It's a neat idea to have a birth year razor of my dad's and grandfather's birth year razors. My Dad (1920) there has to be some pretty cool razors from that year. My Grandfathers were long gone befor I was born in 1970 I have my grand father on my dad's side's straight razor we'll call that one good enough. I was born in august of 1970 I can't find anything on ebay, well anything that I can trust as coming from the fourth quarter of 1970 so I ask you trustworthy ladies and gentlemen what would be a good birth year razor for me I'm mainly a gillette guy and what razor from the 3rd quarther of 1920 must I have?

16. Hi there,

For yourself I'd recommend finding a super adjustable..........long and short handle was made that year. Personally, I prefer the balance and feel of the shorter version (about the same length as a Slim), since the longer handle model feels kinda weird in my hand after all these years.

They're both very good shavers, and they have a nice black sorta coating of some kind on the handle.

You're lucky that some decent date coded razors were made that year.

Martin

Here's a pic of my P3 shorty, which I used just last week.

Attached Files:

17. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

My thought as well.

18. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I used to feel that way...but I got a GREAT shave from a cheap looking White plastic Slim Twist...Remembering that, I would like to get another one of those...You could open the TTO with the same hand you held the razor with while you were holding it;which I still think is cool...Got such a nice shave that all of a sudden I didn't think it looked cheap anymore...:cool: Actually kinda hip looking and very manueverable...nimble like an injector but not as aggressive...

You can see the ad for the same one on this thread in the Safety Razor Forum: Gillette catering to the sophisticated crowd of the 1960s a

And I borrowed a pic from Achim (hope he doesn't mind), to show you the black handle gold plated Slim Twist from the early '70's..Looks like if Aston Martin made a razor...:

Attached Files:

19. jtb

jtb New Member

I have an I1 Slim that is my birthdate razor, just used it this morning :D

20. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

This thread makes me jealous:(. I need to find a 1969 Knack or Super Adjustable.