Blade Bank Alternatives ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Pureslab, May 5, 2010.

1. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

I'm sure this has been covered before but what do some of the folks here use other than a blade bank to dispose of their used DE blades ?

2. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

my medicine cabinet has a blade slot.

3. BullGoose

BullGoose Well-Known Member

I usually just chew them up and swallow them. :shocked031 Seriously though, I use a metal blade bank. It holds about a years worth of used blades. When it is full, I just put the whole thing in the blue bin. Could not be easier.

4. I took an old prescription pill bottle and I put used blades in there. It has a childproof top to discourage any younger hands to open it. It's quite large and holds many many blades.

5. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

You mean other than a commercially made blade bank?

I took a can of clear broth and made a long slit in the top rather than taking the top off, using a knife that I didn't care about too much. I drained the broth into a container to use later. Rinsed out the can, and removed the label. Should be good for years.

6. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I use an old liquid laundry detegent bottle. The opening is just wide enough for DE blades and the neck's long enough to keep out curious fingers.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I use empty containers from mints or gum. I use the metal kind that I usually end up paying an extra $0.75 to get mints in one of these containers every year or so to get another container. Starbucks has really good gum and mints, so no big deal. I don't have little ones in my bathroom and would caution that I wouldn't do this if kids had acess to the container.

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Why don't hardware stores sell blade banks? :confused:

It ain't like we're the only ones using non-cartridge blades.

9. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

I've got a Gatorade bottle in a drawer in my bathroom. Works fine, though I wish it were more convenient. I'll have a real blade bank when I live in a home that I own again...

10. profsaffel

profsaffel The a**s go marching one by one

I use an box that my Aqua Velva came in. I just put a little slit in the top and I've been filling it for two years now. In my cabinet, it just looks like an extra bottle of AV sitting on standby.

11. shaveslave

shaveslave Member

empty blade container

empty gum container with flip top; when empty throw in sharps container or tape shut and dispose in garbage.

Attached Files:

12. groffjj

groffjj New Member

OOOPs! Now don't I feel like an idiot. I've been tossing mine into the garbage can as is. Always hoping my kids don't decide to play around in the garbage can in the laundry room. I've been afraid of that (unlikely as it would be) but didn't really think through an alternative. Now I have some great choices. Thanx.

13. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

You have more to worry about than that. The real danger is if somebody just decides the garbage is getting a little full and goes to push it down unsuspecting that there would be blade there to bite them.

I used to be a stripper (not that kind :ashamed001) in a pre-press shop. I used somewhere between 30 and 100 SE razor blades a day and we had huge blade banks. However every once in a while somebody would accidently toss one in the regular garbage and somebody would get cut by it, usually the janitor.

An unguarded blade is always a danger - no matter where it is.

14. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I use broth cans as shown on this page from across the street

15. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

I like this idea.

16. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I went to the local Dollar Store and picked up a ceramic piggy bank and that's what I use. No kids at home so no problem with any little hands wanting to pick up the piggy bank and playing with it. Works great.

17. BullGoose

The only problem with that is that the piggy bank is likely not recyclable. What do you do with the piggy bank when it is full? This still poses a potential hazard. With a metal blade bank, the whole kit and caboodle can be melted down.

18. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

When the piggy bank is full, the blade will be placed in a metal can and then recycled. Probably an extra step that's really not necessary, but I like the way the little pig looks.

19. I use an old Barbasol jar...holds about 4 years worth of blades.

20. BullGoose

I agree...the piggy bank would be a very attractive blade bank. :cool: