Blade chatter

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by John Ruschmeyer, Nov 20, 2015.

1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I see a lot of people mention "blade chatter" in relation to DE razors. At the risk of asking a silly question, what is blade chatter exactly and how do I recognize that it is occurring?

Thanks...
    JR

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

From the result of a dry face - not enough water to wet it or not enough lather to protect it. The blade will "stutter" and skip during the stroke.

3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

And you'll probably bleed.

4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Hrm, I thought it was the blade itself that vibrated when talking about chatter.

5. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Next to idle chatter "Blade Chatter" is a drag.

6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I've had DE razors chatter but never an SE.

7. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Blades that aren't sharp enough skip across the whiskers and when they hit my face they cut in. I have found that the sharper blades don't do this. SE gem carbon blades chatter after 3 shaves, injector blades chatter after 4. I have had a straight chatter like that and it was fun in an "oh god oh god my face is lying in the sink" kind of way. I took it to a barbers hone and newspaper and it didn't chatter anymore.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Indeed.
    Blade chatter = rivulets of blood
    :D

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Making sure your handle is snug. Loose handle = loose head= loose blade, causing not only chatter but rattle too. Result: the styptic pencil wont help but lots of bandages would be needed

10. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I've only had blade chatter when using TTO razors, never on a three piece DE, SE or cart. I believe it's caused by a combination of an unsupported or poorly supported blade and steeper blade angles.