Blade Disposal Slot in the Medicine Cabinet

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Hirsute, Apr 11, 2012.

1. jb4647

jb4647 New Member

So how would one go about installing a slot? I have a built-in medicine cabinet in my bathroom. The wall below/behind it doesn't have any electrical outlets. Is it just a matter of making a thin whole then putting this "bill slot" over it?

gorgo2 likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    yes...but you should be careful to miss wall studs. The other thing you need to consider is the length of the hole in the slot. it is just over the length of the end of a dollar bill. The easiest way, assuming you have or can borrow the tools, would be to drill a small hole and use that as the starting point for a reciprocating saw. Cut the slot in the wall to the desired length. Install bill slot. Admire handiwork.:)

To tell you the truth, the bill slot is an option for those who do not have a medicine cabinet and just mount the slot on the wall. For those who do have a medicine cabinet, they use the slot provided (if vintage) or make a slot in the back of it (modern).

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I had to laugh at the home improvement show I was watching yesterday (edit: Bath Crashers) .... They were remodeling a bathroom and in the process knocked down a wall and found a pile of old blades (yeah!, I thought). The host's reaction was: Well, uh, looks like we got a little hazmat issue.

LOL. Oh, please!

gorgo2 and alpla444 like this.
  4. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I bought a sampler pack of DE blades from Amazon.com, but did not get a blade bank. When I was in the supermarket I saw a plastic Menthos candy package and picked it up because it looked the right size for this. When I got home I tried and the blades fit very easily and it looks like it will hold around 20 or more used blades.

battle.munky and alpla444 like this.
  5. jb4647

jb4647 New Member

Thanks. Don't have the tools you speak of nor any ability not to screw it up. May put an ad on Craig's List for local handyman. Figure $25 should be fair for the job.

I own my condo and the wall in question i believe is what they call a load-bearing wall so it ain't going anywhere. If I'm kicking it old school with DE shaving might as well go all the way eh?

battle.munky, PLANofMAN and alpla444 like this.
  6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I wouldn't even waste the money on a dude to cut the slot. If you have a drill and a hack saw blade you should be good. Unless you have no experience with hand tools, it isn't a hard mod to do.

wlmcad and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. asleep2shave

asleep2shave Well-Known Member

Me and my husband's last apartment had one of these. Sadly we didn't start wet shaving until after we moved from the apartment or else that would of been a great way to dispose of our used blades.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I know this is a bit late, but you could do this job with a drywall knife if you didn't have anything else.

9. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I don't have a slot in the wall to dispose of used blades either, but I found a plastic container at the grocery store of Menthos gum that holds them easily. I will probably hold close to 50 blades. Plus you get the gum for around
    $ 1.50. You can then throw the whole thing out when it is full. I'll probably tape it up with strong tape to keep anyone from opening it at the dump.

10. Indiexsunrise

Indiexsunrise Well-Known Member

We have them in the cabinets in both bathrooms and my wife and I both use them.

11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Dead thread resurrection time!

While yes I still have the blade slot in my original medicine cabinet as I discussed in this thread originally back in April 2012, and quoted below, I wanted to be a little more efficient. Rather than always having to open my medicine cabinet and reach in it to drop a blade down inside the wall, I wanted a used blade wall plate.

I would have preferred a vintage one but they are practically impossible to find. So, here is the modern one from Maggard Razors that I just received today and installed today below my medicine cabinet. It's very heavy solid stainless steel, etched with "FOR USED BLADES" on it. It was very simple to install and only took about 10 minutes which mostly consisted of cutting the blade slot in my sheetrock. I didn't need to use a stud finder as I already knew the wall was hollow at this position because it's the same position blades drop down through my medicine cabinet. In one of my images, you can see the inside medicine cabinet blade slot as well.

It really is rather neat to drop a blade down in the wall and here it hit the floor.

IMG_20210508_150513~2.jpg IMG_20210508_150426~2.jpg IMG_20210508_150406~2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very nice! :eatdrink047:

BTW you need to paint the inside of your medicine cabinet .... getting touch rusty.

:D

13. IAmTheJody

If you were 62 years old you would probably have a little rust as well. hahaha

I'm actually probably going to end up replacing it now that I have my new wall blade disposal spot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

14. IAmTheJody

You made me do it Enrico! I took out my ancient rusted medicine cabinet.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to find a new one in that size as the rough wall opening is only 12 inches and there's only 12.5 inches between the studs. So much for all houses being built with standard 14" to 16" off center wall studs.

So rather than replace the old medicine cabinet with a new medicine cabinet, and since I don't really need a new medicine cabinet after having hung a new wall cabinet next to it last week, I'm just going with a commercial wall mirror to hang and cover the hole. Seen in the image below, it's the kind you find in retail settings such as gas station bathrooms, restaurant kitchens, etc. I found this one with a shelf. All stainless steel, 15-year warranty on the mirror plating. Right now I'm just stuck with a hole in the wall until this new mirror arrives. Going this route also caused me to have to move my new "used blades" wall plate from the center, to the far left so that once I hang the new mirror, it would not be hidden under it.
    Screenshot_20210513-104041.png
    IMG_20210513_105307~2.jpg IMG_20210513_105323.jpg
    IMG_20210513_110539~2.jpg IMG_20210513_105331.jpg

Attached Files:

Enrico and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Now you have a huge blade slot behind the mirror. ;)

16. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

You could always just add shelving into the hole. Staple the electrical wiring to one side, then cut down some 1x2, i believe pocket holes will work just fine. Paint the inside, and to finish the outside of the hole all your need is flat molding to go along the edge of the hole. You could still use your new mirror by adding hinges on left side making it a “medicine cabinet”.
    just an idea

richgem and IAmTheJody like this.
  17. IAmTheJody

Right? I can even throw whole razors that I don't like shaving with, in there!
    :happy102:

Enrico, richgem and Jorvaljr like this.
  18. IAmTheJody

That's actually an excellent idea! I'll talk to my cousin who is an excellent carpenter and all around handyman. I definitely don't have the skills for wood working. The only other issue I can think of with this scenario is drilling holes into the mirror framing for the hinges. Maybe breaking the mirror depending on how far its edge is inside the frame. I'll talk to my cousin and see what he thinks. :happy088:

Enrico, Jorvaljr and richgem like this.
  19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am going to remodel my bathroom around my wall blade disposal slot as well. :happy102:

20. IAmTheJody

Is there any other way or reason?
    :p

Enrico and richgem like this.