Blade Flipping?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Pop Pops Razor, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Pop Pops Razor

Pop Pops Razor Active Member

Does anyone besides myself flip their blade over between shaves? I find I get more and better shaves out of it when I do. Even though I won't use any blade more than 4 shaves, it seems to keep its sharpness better.

PatrickA51 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use a blade twice, I've never done that knowingly. I'll try it! Thanks for the tip.

3. de.fuller

de.fuller New Member

I think that you are on to something. It would help keep the edge straight and in line.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  4. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I flip all of my blades except for the injectors. I also remove the blade rinse, dry and put it back into the paper after each shave. By doing this I have no problems with rust.

Radiotube and ObiDon like this.
  5. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Never have knowingly flipped the blade. Also I don't count how many times I use a blade, just keep using the same blade until it starts tugging. Too much thinking for me.

Dave

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I take the blade out after ever shave, hand strop both sides of both edges, flip and put into the next razor.

7. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

:signs011:
    I do the same, except it goes back into the same razor. I feel like it has added at least 2 shaves to every blade. I also hand strop before I put a blade in for the first time.

Spit_Fire and Boojum1 like this.
  8. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

I use a blade at most 3 times. I do not remove the blade from the razor unless I an travelling. I do a 4 pass shave and I shave every day.

9. Chef Bill

Chef Bill Member

With most good quality blades I can get three shaves on the first side, then I flip it and get a fourth on the second side. If my beard has light on the other shaves, I can sometimes push it to a fifth. Normally, I only need to shave two full passes, and then take care of a few touch-up spots.

I always remove the blade after each shave, give it a good rinse with hot water and blot it dry before putting back in the razor for the next shave. I find this 30-second procedure really helps extend the blade's use.

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I would be tempted to say that getting more shaves out of a blade by flipping it is a placebo effect since actually don't shave with a 'side' of the razor but rather the very, very thin edge.

Hand stropping it may actually bring back some life to a blade though.

Boojum1, dscaver and BigMark like this.
  11. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Yes I do, some times. When I clean my razor after each shave {I take it apart and rub it down with Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol soaked Cotton Balls or I use Alcohol Wipes} Then I wipe both sides of the razor blade.Then I let it air dry and then put it back together. Sometimes I wipe the razor down with Mineral Oil, but not always.

ObiDon likes this.
  12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I flip and hand strop as well. Both for DE and SE blades. Depending on brand I get 5 to 10 shaves out of an DE blade. Carbon blades I can rehone and strop in an Allegro honing device, so they last even longer. Twenty shaves a blade. :)

Moses Brown and Spit_Fire like this.
  13. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Stropping does extend blade life, but not enough for me to bother with it. For me, it merely extends the marginal performance phase of blade life, and encourages more passes. I get better shaves by getting more blade-time in the "fresh" phase (3 and out). Now that I expect high quality shaves every day with the fewest passes, pushing the margins on a blade is not worth the overall quality I give up.

14. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I always flip the blade, even though I usually only use a blade twice.

15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Maybe I do. I don't keep track. I rinse the blade and then put it back in the razor.

16. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I tend to agree with this. Stropping will have some effect, but I think just flipping is a placebo effect. There are a lot of tricks like this that come from the Depression era. Even expensive blades are relatively inexpensive, and I don't see the point of putting a dollar's worth of effort into a nickel blade. Three shaves and it's out.

Col C, wristwatchb, Boojum1 and 2 others like this.
  17. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

That's too much to remember each morning. I use my blade for two shaves and I'm on to a new blade. Aces!

wristwatchb, Boojum1, ObiDon and 2 others like this.
  18. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I flip the blades that have numbers on them, it helps me to remember how many times I have used the blade. Otherwise I use the blade three times and be done with it. I find if i use the blade after three times it just seems uncomfortable.
    For those guys stropping their blades what are you using to strop with?

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My palm.

20. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Some swear by blade flipping, other's think it makes no difference. I'm of the "makes no difference" camp.