Blade for new razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by prize, Nov 27, 2008.

1. prize

prize New Member

Just got my hands on a Merkur 34c. Anybody have any suggestions from the following list, which blade would be a good start for the razor?? Are some more suited to some razors than others or is it purely personal preference??

I have got....

Feather, Derby, Gillette Platinum, Super + Platinum, Merkur , Wilkinson, Dorco and Nacet.

Thanks in advance

2. xChris

xChris Member

It will really be up to what you find you like in it. It isn't uncommon for there to be a preference of different blades with different razors by a single owner. It's just one of the "YMMV" issues discussed on these forums.

Do you already have a preferred blade? If so, it's probably not a bad idea to start there. If not, you could probably fall back to trying them one-at-time until you find the right match for you.

3. MaxP

MaxP Member

I think Chris is right. For me, its Feathers. I know there a those for whom Feathers don't work well at all.

Happy Thanksgiving.

4. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Yes to the two replies before me.

Personally, I am liking Gillette 7 o'clocks (yellow package) in my Merkur 33c

5. JimR

JimR Active Member

All of those (except Merkur, apparently) are quite popular in general. I myself am quite fond of Gillette 7 O'clocks...

6. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

Start with your favorite. I tend to start with Derby's when I try a new razor and go from there. I agree Feather seems to be the sharpest and most aggressive!

7. Hi there (insert name here),

Let's see........looks like this is your second razor after recently buying the Parker. You probably don't have much of a reference for what blades work for you yet. So, keeping that in mind, I can suggest trying the crystal blades (Israeli Personna) first. They're a popular brand and are known as a mild but effective blade for many members. Derbys would be another to sample soon, as those are also very popular.

After that, maybe the dorco(301), which is a bit sharper, followed by the Gillette Platinum (which I believe are also known as 'Swedes' for some reason). Those are well known as a very good blade for lots of us.....sharp but smooth. Hehe, stay away from the Merkur till your technique is somewhat refined. By then, from your previous experiences, you'll know right away if this blade's for you or not.

I can't speak for the other blades you have listed........except for the feather. Those are a different animal, and I suggest you try those when you are getting consistantly excellent shaves. They are great for many members (but not all), and are extremely sharp. That means there's no room for error if you want the best shave possible from those.

You may very well have a beard that's suited for a bunch of the blades listed, but as others have said, there's no way to tell in advance. Yeah, it's all a part of this goofy 'hobby'....the trial and error part I mean. However, it's well worth the time and effort.

Good luck on your shaving journey and remember, there's a bunch of us along for the ride..........
    Martin

8. OmegaEdge

OmegaEdge New Member

I suggest a feather, I use them and they are very smooth and sharp! Take your time with this blade if your technique is not perfected.

9. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Gillette 7 o' clock yellow packs. Sharp as a feather and much smoother.

10. OmegaEdge

OmegaEdge New Member

Thats a good choice too!

11. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Feather or Dorco 301 would be my choice.

12. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Maybe put a feather and a gillette in. Best of both worlds? :happy102