Blade Life: GEM/Personna, PTFE Coated, SE Razor Blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SteveF, Aug 6, 2017.

1. SteveF

SteveF New Member

What is the normal / expected blade life for the: GEM/Personna, PTFE Coated, SE Razor Blade?

I recently started shaving with SE razors (I have been shaving for over 40 years with DE safety razors), and I am using GEM/Personna, PTFE coated, SE razor blades. I am still using the very first SE blade that I started shaving with in SE razors (I purchased a pack of 100 blades). . . I just had my 21st BBS shave with that blade today (today I shaved with an Ever-Ready, 1924 - "Shovel Head" razor). I have used that same blade shaving with the following razors (with most of the razors, I have shaved multiple times with the same blade in each different razor): 1912 Damaskeen, 1912 Ever-Ready (made in England), 1912 GEM, GEM Feather Weight, GEM Flat Top Heavy - FTH/G-Bar, MMOC, MMCP, MMBT, 1914 Ever-Ready, 1924 Ever-Ready - "Shovel Head."

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Different for every face.
    For me, 5 and toss. I have taken it 8.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I usually don't count how many shaves I've had. I just change them on the first sign of tugging.

4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Six and bin for me!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've got to be past 5 now on my current blade (I don't count shaves) but it's telling me it's time to move on.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Which one is your favorite?

I know, it's like being asked which is your favorite kid.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Wow... 21 shaves...

I wish I was able to get that from the OCMM. Most of the times, I notice the blade starting to degrade about shave 5. Once the shave doesn't last as long or gets tuggy, I pitch the blade.

8. SteveF

SteveF New Member

I cannot say (at least yet anyway) which is my favorite "one" - but my favorite(s) so far: The various 1912 version razors - (multiple manufacturers of the 1912 razor, & flat / curved blade cover versions (blade door / blade cap)) , GEM Flat Top Heavy - FTH/G-Bar, MMCP, 1914 Ever-Ready, 1924 Ever-Ready - "Shovel Head."

RaZorBurn123, jimjo1031 and gorgo2 like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Last January 25, I had my 46th shave with a Personna Super Stainless. I have set it aside and I may revisit it again some day. It's my personal best for now. I normally do 5-7 shaves and change.
    [​IMG]

10. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I'm more impressed with the technique you fellows must have than the number of shaves you've achieved from a blade! You're obviously using your tools the way they were designed for!
    I'm also of the school where I don't count shaves, when my blade tells me it's done, I change it. You guys have sure reinforced my desire to continue to maintain proper technique!
    My first razor in this new hobby was an Ever Ready Model 1912 I bought online. I love it!
    I'd love a Shovel Head of that vintage. Where did you find it and what else can you share with me about how to shave with it and your impression about it? Great, fun post! Thanks!

RaZorBurn123 and Zykris like this.
  11. SteveF

SteveF New Member

Today, I enjoyed comfortable (two and a half shaving passes), BBS shave number 22 with the same blade!!! -- Today I used the blade in a 1912 GEM Damaskeene razor.

12. SteveF

SteveF New Member

I personally shave every day (I have a very full, medium/coarse beard and moustache); I always shave at the beginning of the day, before I take a shower; I only use cold tap water when shaving (I use hot water to rinse the razor); I make sure to have reasonably good shaving soap lather to shave with. . . My favorite soaps are: Tabac, Cella, & Proraso. . . & Barbasol aerosol can shaving cream -- I use the Barbasol aerosol shaving cream probably about 50 percent of the time - Barbasol aerosol shaving cream has always worked great for me, for the 40+ years that I have been shaving! I shave at a 30 to 45 degree angle with DE razors, and with SE razors, with the GEM Micromatic, FTH/G-Bar, & Feather Weight razors, I shave with the blade cap flat on my face. - With Gem 1912 Damaskeene, GEM & Ever-Ready 1912, and Ever-Ready 1914, I shave with the blade cap slightly off of my face. - With the Ever-Ready 1924 "Shovel Head" razor, I shave with it very successfully at the steepest angle of all SE razors that I own - (though not steep, as compared to a DE razor - I shave with the Ever-Ready 1924 "Shovel Head" razor at probably around 25 to 30 degrees). Contrary to the standard recommendation of many to "use no pressure" when shaving, I always use some pressure, regardless of whether I am using a mild or aggressive blade or razor. . . with a brand new, very sharp razor blade, I use very light pressure, but as a blade loses some of its sharpness, through using the blade through multiple shaves, I use slightly more pressure. However, at no time do I use a lot of pressure when shaving.

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I don't count how many shaves I get with a SE blade, when it starts to tug it's replaced.
    Comfort over frugal.

PanChango and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  14. SteveF

SteveF New Member

Shave number 23 today with the blade. . . Great shave with an Ever-Ready 1924 "Shovel Head" razor!!!