Blade Longevity

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Ed Hobo, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Ed Hobo

Ed Hobo New Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a questions about blade longevity. Ive looked everywhere for the answer to this question but havent been able to figure out.

First of all, how many shaves do you go before changing blades? I have heard anywhere from 1-6.

This is where my newbieness comes in. Is a shave a pass or a shave session? Is a 3 pass shave considered one shave or three?

Thanks for clarification.

Ed Hobo

BeShaved, Rob626, BigCabDaddy and 3 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    A shave may be one, two, or three passes. That is why you see such a variance in number of shaves per blade. It may even vary with the same shaver and between brands. My goal is six good shaves and change. I do two passes. I have changed blades after two shaves. It just depends. If the blade goes bad, change it. It's not like $4 a blade like with carts. As with everything YMMV.

BeShaved, Dzia Dzia and Ed Hobo like this.
  3. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Just a newb too, but I'm getting 3, 2 pass shaves out of Astra platinums. I forgot to change out and went four days for a total of eight passes over the last four days.

4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Everyone is different, but a pass is one lather and its removal. I generally do a 3 pass shave one pass with the grain of my beard, one pass across the grain and one pass against the grain. Blade longevity depends on your beard thickness and other factors. Blades are cheap and I usually chunk them after 3 shaves (9 passes).

5. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I do a daily 2 pass shave, both WTG. I change my blade every Sunday. I use Astra SP.

BeShaved, Dzia Dzia and BigCabDaddy like this.
  6. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Good questions.
    I use two blades a week
    Mon-thus is one and fri-sun is the 2nd. I find this gives me the best comfort level without modifying technique. I have shaved for two weeks with a single blade BUT a two week blade is very different from a new one. For me it requires pressure and when i do Pop in the fresh blade I have to relearn it. So it's just easier to run 4 days. So I always have the same blade.
    Usually a day is 2-3 passes touchups or whatever it takes.

7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I normally get 4 shaves at the most out a Gem SE blade at 3 or 4 pass routines .....I like a sharp blade...Nothing less will do me personally....Some folks reckon that they get 10-15 shaves from an Gem SE blade....It would appear that some folks prefer a duller blade ....I can get 5 or 6 out of an Injector blade on a 3 pass shaving routine and here again I have heard some folks say they can get up to 20-30.....I wouldn't have any face left after 5 or 6....;)
    I don't understand those huge numbers to be honest...:chores016:

Billy

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

A pass is simply one stroke over the area to be shaved. The entire shave, ususally of mulitple passes, is a shave or shave session. When the skin is smooth, that is a completed shave.

Blades and razors are a system. One blade may work well for you in one razor and bad in another razor and vice versa.

You may want to reference this for more information.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...ild-sharp-or-smooth-a-general-overview.37813/

BeShaved, BigCabDaddy and Billyfergie like this.
  9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I normally get three or four three pass shaves out of blades.
    less if I have no confidence in them.
    I try to keep in mind that the blades are the least expensive part of the shave, if they aren't good, they get tossed.

BeShaved, Red Rider, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  10. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

I am a bit of a tight wad so I try to use blades that will last a week. My beard is not real coarse and I shave six days a week. My primary blade is the Astra SP - but also have good week long results with Ladas and Voskhod. If you haven't already, pick up a good blade sample pack from one of the online retailers or check out tryablade.com and create your own.

BeShaved, David Green and BigCabDaddy like this.
  11. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

How long a blade lasts, depends on what blade your using (sharpness, coatings etc.) and how tough your beard is. Some men using, lets say, an Astra blade, with a mild beard will use it for a week with a 2 pass shave, others with tough bears will use it once for a 2 pass shave. I use an Astra SP or Personna Reds 3 days with a 1 or 2 pass + touchup shave, depending if i want a BBS, There is no positive answer.
    Passes are considered the number of times one lathers during a shave.

BeShaved and Billyfergie like this.
  12. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Blades are probably the ultimate YMMV item. I do a 3 pass shave, light beard on cheeks, but thick and corse in goatee area. When I started this obsession, I tracked blade/razor combos regarding the quality and number of shaves.
    One blade, Personna 74*, I get 20 shaves, two others 10 and 15. But for quality and cost my daily blades are Ladas and Astra SP's. 3 shaves and they get tossed. Even with only 3 shaves my monthly cost is 1 buck a month.
    I am a shaving contrast, like moderate/expensive soaps, but cheap on blades..
    soap snob/blade frugal

BeShaved and Billyfergie like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I toss a blade after five 3-pass shaves.
    For me, I count WTG-XTG-ATG as 3 passes, one shave.

Doesn't matter how you count yours, doesn't matter if you only get 1 shave or 100 out of a blade. As has been said, everyone is different.
    Change your blade when your face is telling you the blade is starting to tug and pull.

14. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I tend to get about 5-7 shaves from a blade. everyone has different blade millage but I find that the 2nd and 3rd shave to be the best. If it is a better quality blade you may be able to get more shaves but you should experiment and see what works best for you.

BeShaved likes this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

First like much of "traditional" shaving this is a VERY YMMV kind of thing., which IMO is what makes "traditional" shaving so much fun and so effective in terms of getting a close and irritation free shave.

One complete shaving session(preshave to postshave), will consist of multiple passes. The number of passes you make is irrelevant as the number of passes you make during your shave may change with different blades/razors and over time as your technique improves/changes. Passes can also be considered directional as WTG, ATG, XTG, etc. A single "all over" WTG pass will be made up of multiple passes in the same direction. I hope I'm not confusing you. :confused:
    I quit keeping a tab on how long any particular blade lasts, I just use the blade until it no longer gives me the shave I want, then I change it. That said I usually get 4-6 complete shaves from one blade. However that number can vary sometimes less, sometimes more.
    Although I will on occasion use other blades, I mostly use the same two blades:
    Astra SP for my aggressive razor.
    Vikings Sword for my mild razor.

For me at this time a complete shave is:
    First pass: WTG(cheeks, neck and chin) more or less north to south.
    Second pass: rinse/relather, Gillette slide(ear to chin) on my cheeks, ATG south to north under my neck.
    Third pass/touchup: relather without rinsing, shave in all directions using blade buffing where necessary.
    Final pass: mostly WTG using only water.
    Each pass(first, second, third and final) is an "all over" the face pass consisting of many smaller passes.

I use two different safety razors for my shave. The first "all over" WTG pass is made with a more aggressive razor(Gillette "NEW" LCOC, Cadet OC, ER 1924 "shovelhead" SE, MuhleR41 or Merkur 37C Slant). The second, third and final "all over" passes are made with a milder razor(Gillette FAT handle tech, EJ R89,Weber DLC or Stahly Live Blade shave head).

I know this "system" sounds strange, but I've shaved this way for over two years now and I get consistent DFS+ shaves and lately(this past week using the Stahly Live Blade shave head) I've been getting consistent BBS. MOST importantly, to me anyway, my shaves are ALWAYS completely irritation, nick and razor burn free!:happy088:

BeShaved likes this.
  16. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

The blade should be thrown away as soon as you begin to experience tugs and pulls. It might be after the very first shave with the blade or it might be after 10+ of shaves. There are so many different types of beard.

Also, the more steep angle you use, the less shaves you will get. For example steep angle shaving with Mühle R41 will dull the blade really quickly. So the razor you use will also be a factor in how many shaves you will get.

BeShaved and dominpe like this.
  17. mylesc1234

mylesc1234 Active Member

I've always been told every 3-5 shaves so you always get a nice clean shave.

BeShaved likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

While learning I suggest tossing after three days, you don't want your technique to drift to compensate for a dying blade.

19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

3 pass shave is one shave, 6 pass shave is one shave. I use a blade for 2 shaves and it goes in the bin. Comfort over frugal.

20. SuperChris

SuperChris Member

I mostly use Dorco ST 301's and I change blades once a week, usually 5-6 shaves. I have some Personna 74 blades that I haven't tried yet but some people claim you can get 20 shaves out of them.

BeShaved likes this.