Blade Longevity

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Ed Hobo, Aug 13, 2015.

1. DrTerror

DrTerror Well-Known Member

I have a really slow growing,but coarse beard,so seeing as DE blades are are so cheap,I only ever go for 1 or at the most 2 shaves from a blade.

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. Capri142

Capri142 New Member

3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Personna 74 were made of tungsten steel from I recall.
    They have been known to last a long time. Great blades but failed due to poor sales, only brought on by themselves.
    Long lasting blades mean fewer sales. Like to find NOS 74's in the wild.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    BeShaved likes this.
  4. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I count passes at 3-4 per shave and now give blades 3 shaves though if I were critical, some are only good for less than that and some could go more. 12 pass/3 shave is a good compromise but it would depend on your beard.

BeShaved and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

By now, I trust you've figured out that there is no absolute "right number". It will vary with the blade, your razor, your whiskers and even how much of your face you shave. For example, my husband shaves his face and head. Using Feather blades, he generally gets 3 shaves before tossing the blade. Using the same brand, I can get 2 complete leg shave sessions (softer hair, but more "real estate"- I'm tall.)

BeShaved and BigCabDaddy like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Unfortunately it looks like the OP Ed Hobo has gone the way of his name and avatar. Hasn't been seen since September.

xnykid and BigCabDaddy like this.
  7. SuperChris

SuperChris Member

I have around 150 Personna blades that were given to me by my grandfather, along with some vintage Gillette blades and the his old Slim, when I told him I was going to start DE shaving.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  8. Red Rider

Is that a tease ? Cause it worked. :drool:

SuperChris likes this.
  9. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

that's kind of funny, it was a good question.

10. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

I use mostly the Astra SP blades and although i could maybe get a couple more shaves out of them i change blade after 6 shaves ..... i always put new blade in with the numbers 1 & 2 facing up and then after 3 shaves i clean blade good and flip it over so numbers 3 & 4 are facing up
    ... and at $10/100 blades that = 600 shaves which = less than .02 cents per shave .. pretty darn good i'd say

BeShaved likes this.
  11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

That's getting your money's worth.. I flip every shave. But I'm having trouble remembering to flip and how many shaves I'm getting. Currently I have three razors and each have a blade in them.. Lol I totally fell off the wagon for the 30 day focus

BeShaved likes this.
  12. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Use a blade until it begins, just begins, to feel uncomfortable. There is no magic formula nor is there a specific answer, everyone' experience is different for a wide range of reasons. Try pushing a blade beyond it's proper useful life and it will let you know with irritation and nicks.

13. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

I like this rule of thumb. I learned the hard way today that using a blade too many times will make for a miserable shave. Today was day 4 for my Personna blade, and it was the worst shave I've had since I started using a DE razor. At 0.54 ¢ per blade (for the Personna), it's much better to toss it and have a fresh blade and an enjoyable shave. Lesson learned!

Exactly!

Red Rider likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Usually 10-15 from most blades.
    I'm on 25 now with a Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow, so far.
    I toss when they start to tug, or I get irritation.

15. poikkeus

poikkeus Member

For me, the aggressiveness of the razor is most important with blade longevity.

Assuming you hydrate your beard for the recommended four minutes, and use enough shaving cream...I can get at least two dozen shaves with a Gillette Adjustable (GSB blade) at #2 sensitivity. That's about the same longevity as a British Gillette Aristocrat Junior.

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I just tossed a Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow(my favorites), after 26 three pass shaves. I could have gone longer, with Palm stropping, but I wanted to try some Med Preps that were given to me, I hadn't tried those yet.

17. Red Rider

I'm starting to think either my grey beard is made of tungsten wire or I should try a pre-shave oil\cream solution as I can not get beyond 4 shaves on a DE blade without tugging. Pre-shave recommendations welcomed.

18. swarden43

Have you tried hand stropping your blades?

19. Red Rider

All the above tried palm, jeans and even a ceramic DE blade device. Did find recently that shaving with a Gem SE blade was much easier after a hot shower. I now reserve Gem SE days to Saturday post shower. Mon-Fri I use my other razors.

20. swarden43

I find a hot shower an absolute must as part of my shave prep.