blade question...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Jul 24, 2017.

1. brit

brit in a box

hello fello shavers..just curious.are stainless steel blades thinner than gillette blue or super blue blades?.if so would gillette razors from the late 40s up to the early 60s be designed for the thicker blue blades?would the edges be less rigid?thanks gary

jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The old type blades, i.e. three holes, were thicker. I believe starting in the 30s with the News blades got thinner. The thicker blades work great with the Old Types. I even have some Wade & Butcher curved blades that are phenomenal in the old types. I believe modern blades are around .003 inch thick.
    http://jrshaving.blogspot.com/2017/02/vintage-blades.html

BigMark83, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir.was curios why my mid 60s gillette flair tip rocket shaved nicer than my earlier late 40s rocket.probably just me.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone post a comparison of the thickness of blades on here someplace......

brit likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Let's see the Rocket. I have an Aristocrat Rocket, but I would love to get hold of another Rocket in good shape. You just do not see them down here below the border.

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

i thought i had read it somewhere on here but couldn t find it.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

the rockets i am speaking of are the# 1 and the #20 on planomans rocket post.i am unable to post pics at the moment.the #20 flair tip has a thinner design head,same as a black handle ss.