Blade Woes

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DEfan, Jun 23, 2016.

1. DEfan

DEfan Member

I have been using Lord blades for a few years now and wanted to get peoples opinions on my experience. Generally, the first few shaves with a new blade will given me razor burn. After that, I can get quite a few shaves in - even BBS. I typically use a Fat boy on #4 or a EJ89. Does anyone else experience this? I hear that some people only get a few shaves out of their blades period.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sounds like the blade smooths out after the first use. Try hand stropping the blade first. I hand strop before every shave, including that first one with a brand new blade.
    As for how many shaves per blade, some people are one and done, some will take a blade into double digit shaves.
    Only your face can tell you when the blade has gone one too many shaves and it is time for a new blade.

3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've never used Lord blades, but the Astra SP's I use always seem better after the first shave. I don't get razor burn, but the first shave is not quite as good.

AGHisBBS and whiteboy_cannon like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

My experience was 3 nice shaves, then a fast drop-off. I use my Gillette adjustables @7. I found personas, ladas, and astras had a little more staying power.

gorgo2, AGHisBBS and whiteboy_cannon like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Where, on your face, do you get razor burn. Could it be your using too much pressure? Or, too many passes on the neck? Hand stropping, or corking, is a good idea if a blade starts out rough.

macaronus likes this.
  6. DEfan

DEfan Member

Perhaps it is time to try some new blades. I generally hand strop before my first use. From the sound of it, my experience is backwards – worse shaves at the start, followed by better shaves. I do tend to use my blades a number of times before changing.

@DaltonGang may be right, perhaps it is too many passes. I don't tend to get BBS after my WTG pass followed by a ATG pass – I tend to go over some areas a few more passes. It is primarily around my lower jaw that I get razor burn. I took today off because I had quite a few nicks earlier this week.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  7. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

I would say don't chase the baby. Just go for a close and comfortable shave. Keep it simple and avoid doing too many clean up strokes. It may not be the blade but just too many strokes

8. DEfan

DEfan Member

I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Truth.

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows tend to be smooth, sharp and very long lasting, for most users. They are my number one blade.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  11. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I've found the smoothest shaves come from Teflon-coated blades. Sputniks & Voskhods specifically.

12. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Fav blades for me are the Indian Gillette PermaSharp greens. Blades are very much YMMV.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep.

14. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Lord blades are pretty good IMO but they do differ by which certain type they are. I notice that the 2-3 shave with any Blade seems to be the smoothest, usually get about 5 shaves per Blade depending on the quality of blade.

Robyflexx likes this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Open Fat Boy to six, then "ride the cap." Contrary to what many think, an aggressive razor, used with a low angle of attack, is unlikely to burn. This issue is usually more about blade angle and pressure than brand. Good luck with your shaves!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

+1 for hand stropping. It seems that they need to be smoothed out. Also, how many other blades have you tried?? You may greatly prefer astra, feather, etc. You can get sample packs for cheap. You may want to buy or trade for some samples to see what works best

17. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I like Lord blades. They are a few thousandths wider blade to blade, and I noticed razor burn if you don't ride "the cap " as Bama Samurai. Suggested. You can get a lot of shaves from one Lord blade

18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

If you have been measuring these to track them, I would love to see the results.

19. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Ok. I will send you them when I get discharged from hospital. Just the Lord's ,?