Blades more. More importantly finding the right one.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kraken98, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Kraken98

Kraken98 Well-Known Member

So I've seen various trial packs of blades in various sharpnesses around and I'd like to try several types to see which ones I'd like to pick up as I don't know exactly what I need as far as sharpness goes and I simply picked up a 100 pack of personna blades when I got into and they've treated me well but It's all I've used and the question of is there better and am I missing out exists. Can anyone recommend any specific trial packages where I can test various blade sharpnesses?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Enrico likes this.
  2. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

tryablade.com is the place to go

Michael_W likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

To be honest, the Personna blades are one of the sharpest, and smoothest out there. To step it up a level, try the Gillette 7 o'clock Yellows. In my opinion, they are a little better, and last a little longer. Feathers are supposed to be sharper, but to me, they Peter out sooner. Personna Med Preps are supposed to be sharper than the Personna Lab Blues, but to be honest, they feel the same, and many say they are the same. They go through an extra cleaning, and cost more.

Screwtape and RyX like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Screwtape, RyX and AGHisBBS like this.
  5. Kraken98

Just ordered thanks!

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  6. Kraken98

I just kind of want to see what fits my face the best. I may go back to the personnas but I want to make sure I'm making the right decision in my choice of buying before I commit myself to just them.

RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thanks! Got your order and your note! I will ship them out tomorrow morning!

RyX and Kraken98 like this.
  8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

When I started this adventure I bought the largest sample pack offered by West Coast Shaving and then added others that I purchased from "Try A Blade". The photo below is the assortment that I ended up with. What I found was that sharpness was probably the one thing that did not really matter. Smoothness was what I found to be important. After having perfected my technique I also found that I could get an excellent shave from just about any blade. The photo below shows my ranking of the blades based on smoothness. The best is on the upper right working down and left ending with the Merkur which was the worst. I bought all the blades in the right hand column in bulk and now have enough to last the rest of my life. I'm sure others will disagree with my ranking but each face is different.
    Blade Ranking.jpg

Screwtape, Kraken98, McGrande and 4 others like this.
  9. Kraken98

Thanks alot!
    I plan on assembling a similar list of preference's myself I'll definitely make a point of trying your top picks

Screwtape likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I agree with @Col C on many of his blade he enjoys, but as you try them out you'll find your preference. Some blades I find are great for one shave, some are great for 15 plus shaves. I will say it's hard to find a better value blade than Nacet blades; great price and performance.

Screwtape and Kraken98 like this.
  11. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I really like the PAL Super Single Edge blue blades.

Kraken98, wchnu and Enrico like this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Great choice!! Don't get too caught up in blades. Really not a lot of difference.

Kraken98 likes this.
  13. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Agree. Some blades just seem to last longer than others. I also like the Nacet and would include the Ladas in that same category of inexpensive but excellent blades. Smooth and I can easily get a week out of either.

Kraken98 and Enrico like this.
  14. Shadow Shaver

Shadow Shaver Well-Known Member

Looks like you picked a great sample pack. You may also want to read @Zykris "DE Pack Review " He has done some really thorough insight on several blades.

Kraken98, RyX and Zykris like this.
  15. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Thank you for the mention. It's still on going but I think I've documented about 20 or so different blade review.

Here's the link for ease of navigation
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/de-pack-review.56942/

16. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I've tried probably 15 0r 20 different blades through Try-A-Blade and trades here on TSD. After trying those blades I have learned that my top 3 are Astra Superior Stainless, Rapira Super Stainless, and Rapira Swedish Super Steel. I bought all 3 blades in bulk and I'm good for a while. I do have a few tucks of other blades like Ladas, Gillette Rubie and Voskhod as well as a few single Feather, Kia and Derby Extra blades. I'm sure there are other amazing blades out there and I am always up for a trade, but I'm content with the amazing shaves I get from my favorite 3 blades !!!

Screwtape, Kraken98 and Linuxguile like this.
  17. Kraken98

I just got the package today! Thank you very much definitely enough variety to get a foothold and decide on what I like!

Linuxguile and Enrico like this.
  18. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Just remember. Same soap, same razor, same preparation. If you're really testing blades, you have to make sure everything else is even. When i was testing blades out, I used a 40's SuperSpeed for each.

Kraken98 and Enrico like this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Go to refinedshave dot com . Once you find a blade from your pack you like their sharpness data will give you an idea of its sharpness profile and better enable you to experiment with blades with a similar profile. Pay no attention to user reviews unless they are from your identical twin, for every blade in the universe there's somebody who will tell you it's the best. I know I want a blade that is a) very sharp and b) retains sharpness for 2-3 full beard and head shaves. Knowing the sharpness profile of blades narrows my list considerably.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Zykris and Kraken98 like this.