Blades, So many Blades!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DDuckyMark, Aug 19, 2015.

1. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have a tryablade sampler and its overwhelming trying to choose a blade from the 96 different blades that came with it.

I have so far tried:
    Kai Stainless steel - I liked it alot
    Personna Medprep - I liked it
    Gillette 7 O'clock super platinum - it was ok
    Voskhod - it was sharp but not smooth enough, Did not like
    Tiger 3 hole - didn't even finish a stoke with it. tugged pulled and was terrible
    Personna Lab Blue - I liked it got 5 shaves out of it before it started tugging
    Astra super platinum - nice blade it shaves well so far
    Gillette Silver Blue - good shaver but I can't tell the difference between it and the 7 o'clock SP
    Feather - I hated it. The first shave was harsh the 2nd was ok and it was too dull to be effective on the 3rd.

The point behind this is that I need suggestions on what blades to try next because the options are far too vast. I have 6 razors loade in my rotation and my ball end tech is the one needed a blade this time. If its a bad shave I put it in a different razor and try it again and it its still bad I toss it and I won't try it again soon. I try to swap between a 3 piece and a TTO when I do that.

My razors so far are all Gillette:
    '59 Fat Boy
    '54 Super Speed
    triangle guard hole ball end tech
    ball end old type
    '20s Milady Decolletee (I guessed from the handle shape and the case it came in.)
    7 O'clock Stirling

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Put one of each blade in a hat and pick one blind folded. I would recommend making sure they are wrapped before attempting this.

Epimetheus, Boojum1, Norseman and 2 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

It feels like there is a Tiger Woods joke in there somewhere...

4. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

5. DDuckyMark

It was a truly terrible blade. If you want to figure out a joke for it go for it. The blade doesn't deserve not being laughed at I was only able to try it in my old type and I only managed about 2 inches from sideburn to about mid cheek before I had to toss the blade. It left that little stripe red and pained for a day.

178-bplatoon and Norcalnewb like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Perhaps the easiest way to get through 96 different blades would be alphabetical. How ever you do it, keep a journal.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  7. DDuckyMark

I'm keeping the wrappers and writing notes on them. They live in the 2 razor boxes I got with my old type and my ball end tech. Blades I liked in one and blades I did not like in the other. I should compile them in a notebook but I constintly juggle children and work so I haven't gotten that far yet.

Jim99, Norcalnewb and swarden43 like this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Like Christmas in August!

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Never tried the blade, and it sounds like it won't be on my list anytime soon.

10. DDuckyMark

I've had it since the beginning of last month. I've only worked my way thru a few of the blades so far. Its starting to take longer to choose the blade then to shave with it.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zinteresting2.jpg

Jim99 likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Then it was July Layaway to be used on August Christmas Day!

13. DDuckyMark

I have so many razors and blades that I wouldn't know what to do for a focus. I may try the Wilkinson swords Out of Germany since its the blade my local drug store carries.

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. DDuckyMark

Or maybe. . .

15. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

"Feather - I hated it. The first shave was harsh the 2nd was ok and it was too dull to be effective on the 3rd."

This is the first time I have ever heard a negative reply on Feathers (on being dull; usually the opposite - too sharp)...especially on the first shave. Interesting.:whacky011:

16. DDuckyMark

too sharp on the first shave decent in the second and dull on the third. I don't want to sufer through the first shave to get a good second just to toss it after.

17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Actually, just about everybody gets two shaves out of Feathers, then tosses them (because they dull too quickly) before a third shave.

The tradeoff with Feathers is that they are sharper than any other DE blade, and as a result, get dull faster than any other DE blade...well, except for the few brands of DE blades that come pre-dulled and unusable to begin with.

I can't even imagine myself trying out 96 different blades. I found what I liked pretty quickly, then purchased those. Astra SP's are my go to blade, they work well for me in most of my razors and they cost less than $10 for a 100 blade box.

Edit: That being said, I do have about five other blades that I know I like if I ever need a fallback blade, or if they are on sale somewhere.

waddowedonowmo, Jim99 and Billyfergie like this.
  18. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I can go 4 to 5 shaves with my Feathers........just shows the subjectivity of the products we use and how the products vary from user to user.

Bradley Buckeye likes this.
  19. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

I think your next blade is Pol Silver and or Crystals

Norseman likes this.
  20. Strangely I absolutely hated Crystals.. Love the Pols. Then again I just used a modern production Gillette Thin today and found it to be an excellent blade. What I don't know is if it was Thai or Vietnam produced. It was in HolyRollah's bargain bin of blades. Found it almost as pleasing as my NOS Gillette Spoiler Super Stainless Steels.