Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Robust Rob, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Robust Rob

Robust Rob Member

I tried some new blades, some DG store branded blades made in South Korea from the Dollar General store. I was skeptical but have few option in my local stores so I thought I'd give them a try. These are only the second brand I have tried in my short time using a DE razor. The first being Wilkinson Sword's. These blades were very sharp and gave me the most comfortable shave to date. I like them more than the Wilkinson's.
    I started with homemade PSO, Mamma Bear soap with a few drops of PSO, badger brush and Maggard MR13 Razor. Followed the two pass shave with cold water rinse, iso blu/witch hazel splash and Clubman original AS. What a great shave to start my day.
    I have a blade sampler in the works but for now the DG's are awesome.

2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Try the Walgreen Personna blades and see if those work for you too.

3. Robust Rob

Robust Rob Member

Are there any blades still manufactured int the USA?

4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I'm pretty sure that the Personnas are. I know for a fact that Personna Labs/ Med Preps are made in the USA.

BigT likes this.
  5. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

The Dollar General blades are rebranded Dorco 301s, a good blade at a reasonable price.

6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Personnas are the only ones made in the US as far as I know. If you have a Sally Beauty Supply around they sell Personna Labs. Of course you won't see "Lab" on them anywhere but the pack looks like the pic below. If you like them, you can find them online for about $13/100 which is a pretty good deal IMO.
    [​IMG]

Ryan B and BigT like this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Personna Med and Lab preps are still made in the US...Red pack, Crystal's and store branded Personna'a are made in Isreal and are also top quality....In fact I've been using another blade for the past two weeks are so which is supposedly made in the same factory as the Red's and Crystals..They are called Viking's Sword and so far at least I'm finding them EXCELLENT!!!

8. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

+1 on the Viking's Sword. Fantastic blade.