blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dan_b, Dec 2, 2013.

1. dan_b

dan_b Member

I've only been de shaving for 3 weeks, I have been using a Wilkinson sword de just to begin with to see if I like it.
    Well I've got a de89l but I'm not allowed it until christmas. I'm about to finish the blades that I got with the w/s and unsure what to do. Is it wise to try different blades in this razor until I get the new one or stick with w/s ones?
    I have 5 super Max stainless blades, and hopefully someone is sending me 5 astra plats but I haven't got them yet. Plus I think there's 5 derby blades in the ej box.
    So should I try the others or stick with the w/s ones? There not bad but can't get as close on my neck due to irritation. I know I should get a sample pack and will be, but I haven't got any spare money at all until after christmas.
    Thanks

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I know at least one person here who will tell you to stick with the same blade, same razor, soap, same brush for 30 days - all so you can really work on your technique. Changing things up too much before your learn proper technique (not only shaving angle and pressure, but also creating a usable lather) can prevent you from discovering what really works and what doesn't.

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

:signs011:

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. dan_b

dan_b Member

I will be using the same cream etc and the razor till Xmas then using the de89. I have 6 days left with the w/s blades and didn't know whether to get more, with getting the irritation.

It will be 4 weeks tomorrow, but I might get another pack to last until Xmas.

5. swarden43

Three weeks, you say?
    I'd give the Super Max blades a try.

I know it sounds strange, but X blade that doesn't work so well in Y razor may just be the perfect fit in Z razor.
    Don't throw out the Wilkies until you've tried them in other razors.

BamaT likes this.
  6. dan_b

dan_b Member

Ill keep a w/s one to try in the de89 and go with a supermax tomorrow then. Thanks

BigT likes this.
  7. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

If you just need some decent blades to last until xmas, cvs carries double edge blades that are actually very mild, some guys here say good things about them. I tried a pack a while ago and allthough they arent super crazy close shavers, they are super smooth, no drag at all to contribute to irritation.

Also, nice choice in razors. I have an EJ89, love it and I think you will too.

BamaT likes this.
  8. dan_b

dan_b Member

Can't wait to try it out, whats CVS? Thanks

9. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

CVS is a drug store like walgreens. Its their house brand.
    The blades are of course in their shaving isle. They are coated , stainless blades. Man let me tell you, they are indeed slick. Zero drag, I couldnt even feel them cut.
    You know, its time to change the blade in my de, I think I'll dig em out and throw one in today.

10. dan_b

dan_b Member

Just done a search and don't think we have one locally. Maybe not in the UK as the website was in dollars too.

Local shop is tesco which sell blades for around £1 and from reading there Israeli persona so I'll give them a try.

11. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Good deal buddy, I hope you find what you need and SHAVE ON ! :)

12. dan_b

dan_b Member

I'll grab a pack tomorrow and see what they're like.

13. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Go ahead and try whatever blades are available, that's how you find which ones work for you. What's the point of getting a first class razor and putting second class blades in it?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. swarden43

:signs011: I like it.

15. dan_b

dan_b Member

Well, gone with a tesco blade today. Took more passes to get closer but still not perfect. And it was the first shave there was absolutely no sting at all from the witch hazel. Which I think means no irritation.
    I'm not sure if this means they were sharper, blunter, milder or more aggressive?

16. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that anyone really knows which it might be, blades are probably the biggest YMMV.

You can also look at shave prep (just do a google search for "shave prep"), better prep will help whatever blade or razor you're using. Massaging lather into your face can help, you could try adding a hot towel held on your face. There are all kinds of things to try.

17. dan_b

dan_b Member

I've had the same prep ssince starting, so it is definitely the blade that was better. Will keep playing with different blades.

18. Marillonaire

Marillonaire Member

Dan, I have a EJ89L and I use Feather Blades in it, I get a good result and a close shave with no burn. I previously had Derby's but they irritated my neck. As the advice goes, just trial and error and you will find Blade Nirvana. Good luck!

19. dan_b

dan_b Member

Tesco blade didn't get any better, so I'll try something else tomorrow

20. dan_b

dan_b Member

Tried a derby tonight and its the first I've threw out straight after the first shave. Not very nice at all, neck was red all over and sore with a lot of stubble left.

Shamrock likes this.