blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dan_b, Dec 2, 2013.

1. dan_b

dan_b Member

ROFL nice one mate

John Beeman likes this.
  2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I try different blades and different razors every day. I keep track of the results on an excel spreadsheet so eventually I will know which blade in which razor works best for me and how long the blades last

RaZorBurn123 and dan_b like this.
  3. dan_b

dan_b Member

I'm going to do this after Xmas mate, for now I'm just playing with blades I have a few off until I get the new razor. This shite one won't be used after Xmas so its just to get an idea of how to tell the differences In blades and the shave finish for the minute. Out of both creams I use I can get constantly good lather now so that's a big bonus in shave comfort. Looking at the minute to buy my first luxury cream from tobs or t + h etc.

4. dan_b

dan_b Member

Just ordered a tobs lemon and lime, can't wait to try a proper cream

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. dan_b

dan_b Member

Been playing the dremel, freezing my tits off in the shed but I have a prototype brush stand made up. That's one of the kids plastic beakers destroyed.

[​IMG]

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

What Steve told you is true because so many new users have verified this over time. I usually come along before this, but it is interesting to review what is going on. I give this advice freely because it was given freely to me. It is the 30 day rule and I wonder if you have yet to find the right razor and blade combination given what I have read so far.

Now I think the real issue is finding the razor / blade combination. When you find the one that works well for you, stick with it. It is like a golfer who must master a swing so he uses the same set of clubs, or the hitter in baseball who will only use one bat. The idea is to build technique and confidence and that is very hard when you are switching things around.

Good fortune to you.

7. dan_b

dan_b Member

99% BBS with a rapira tonight and no irritation. Hoping for 100% tomorrow or I'll be very happy for same result as today.

Dark Vapor likes this.
  8. dan_b

dan_b Member

Well, same result but took more effort to get there. In this razor I can just manage 2 shaves per blade with a rapira. The search continues :shaver

9. dan_b

dan_b Member

Supermax blue diamond gave another 99% BBS today with no irritation at all.
    Bought some aspirin today to make up a paste for the few bumps on my neck I've had for a while. See if I can get rid of them instead of having to be careful shaving over them.

10. dan_b

dan_b Member

Wow, just got the missus to have a look at the neck and there was 1 ingrown hair and wow, does it feel good once it's out. It was about 3/4 inch long. Hope that was the first and the last.

11. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

My only really bad experience was with a Derby - like you, red, sore, with nicks as well.

Still working my way through a multitude of blades (have 2 sample packs purchased, and another sample pack thrown in with a razor/brush purchased in the marketplace here. Right now I've tested 5 blades, and have about 15-20 left LOL)

I plan on working through them all to find "my" combination. Starting with my Merkur 23C w/Weber Bulldog razor; after finding the best blade for that one, il move on to my next razor and do it all over again. Want to find the best combo for each razor...almost a never ending latest cycle LOL

12. dan_b

dan_b Member

Wow used the Edwin Jagger last night and got a very nice shave. It was almost like shaving in a different way to the cheap w/s. And now understand about blades it was my best blade before so started with one and seemed to tug once or twice but not sure if that could have been down to me.
    Anyway I'll stick with rapids blades for a while to make sure I'm using the new de as should be.

13. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Congrats. You got a fine piece of hardware there, I havent found a blade yet (other than the Derby) that doesnt work well with my EJ

14. dan_b

dan_b Member

One question though, I usually have the razor in hot water with the brush before shaving, is this OK with the ej too?

15. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Absolutely, the ej is top shelf. You cant hurt it

BamaT likes this.
  16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

So true. Just bought a box of Wilkies today at my local pharmacy.

17. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I started with an EJ8911, and it's still my favorite razor.

18. dan_b

dan_b Member

Yes I kept one back to try in the ej. Will see how it goes, yesterday was a great shave and the first where there was no sting at all from a/s.

Cool Breeze likes this.
  19. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I have many razors, vintage and new and I know I say it alot but I realy love my Edwin Jagger.

20. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Anyone have any experience with Bailai blades?