blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dan_b, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Jim Winters

Jim Winters Member

I too have a DE89 but put a Parker 91R heavy duty handle on it (I like the way the weight of the handle does all the work for me!!). Did lousy with Sharks (I hate those blades, inconsistent for me), tried the Derby which was kind of OK, did a couple months with the Astra SP and love it and then someone sent a pack of Gillette Silver Blue with a razor I bought on an auction site and have not turned back. Love them, get three good 3 pass shaves from every blade and BBS almost every time.

Samplers are OK however, I do not think you can ever tell how a blade is going to work when you have only tried one blade! Many blades are inconsistent in production (see my note about about the Sharks). If you are going to do sample packs, at least get the 5 packs. A 5 pack of blades should give a general idea. Let say you get 3 shaves per blade, the is 15 shaves which might give you a better idea. Going through 10 blades is even better as suggested about o about 30 shaves. Just make sure that once you start with a brand, stick with it until you know for sure, do not use on blade one day, another the next an another brand the day after in my opinion as you may never know if you will get the consistent shave that you want

Again, my 2 cents worth

2. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

CVS carbon blades.......
    Sure theyre a pain, what with the drying after each shave and all, due to the rust prone carbon , but they are VERY sharp and seem to last much longer than my de blades.
    I refer of course to the single edge store brand blades.
    Todays shave with the clog pruf was very nice.

3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

How many shaves are you getting out of them? I'm looking to try the carbons next.

4. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

With the double edge blades (gillette silver blues, Astra etc.) I can get 3 before they rip and pull.
    The single edge carbons I get at cvs give up 1 solid week, no kidding.
    It doesnt make sense because in my vast experience with working knives, carbon is much softer. They are much easier to get sharp but loose the edge faster.
    I cant figure it out myself but as they say. "the proof is in the puddin"

5. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I forgot to mention, carbon gets MUCH sharper than stainless too.
    And when I said a week I mean 7 shaves, I shave every day.

6. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

That's been my experience too. 3-4 shaves and they're done for. I'm on my sixth shave today (technically yesterday) with a GEM SS- looking to see how long it lasts. Despite SE Blades costing twice as much it might still break even or be cheaper...

7. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

for me the single edges are cheaper just because they last so long. The 10 pack I bought in Nov. still has 3 blades in it. I dont use the single edges everyday but I rotate them in . I havent had a 10 pack of anything de last me that long.