Blunt Blade Straight Razor for Practice?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by COMPNOR, Feb 14, 2017.

1. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

So I would like to end up using a straight razor for shaving. I still think i'm a bit off though, it might be a 2018 Resolution. I have been looking at straights though, and over at straightrazors.com they offer a $25 blunt razor for practice. It has positive reviews on the site, but I'm always leary of those.

So has anyone done this? Or do you just jump straight into slicing your face?

Thanks,

Jacob

Kizurra, Karl G, Joe Ingal and 3 others like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Jump right in. Blood is the best indicator your technique is off:). Besides the deeper the cuts, the less they hurt :D
    Seriously, we all joke about it but cuts aren't any worse or more often than with a safety razor. I've been at this for only four months, and I can't remember my last nick, but I'll never forget that first one:eek:. (Kidding)

Kizurra, Karl G, Carbide Mike and 4 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Buy a professionally sharpened and shave ready razor. Whipped dog.com sells them. I would get a "Sight Unseen" one, so you can see what it's like with a proper edge, and if it's not for you, you aren't out too much money. You will need a strop too. The Illinois 127 or 827 are very good inexpensive strops. I use an 827. To practice, some use a regular table/butter knife, to get the feel. Let us know what you decide.

4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

[​IMG]
    JUMP RIGHT IN!!!
    HEAD FIRST.
    You will not regret it.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kizurra, Karl G, ohbrian and 4 others like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As others have said, jump right in.
    A blunt razor won't ID bad technique, and if that bad technique becomes habit because of practice, it's going to be hard to break.

Kizurra, Karl G, Carbide Mike and 5 others like this.
  6. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

If your going to get a blunt razor you might as well shave with a butter knife and save a few bucks. Kidding aside, get a professionally honed straight and start slow. Start WTG cheeks only, finish with DE. Then WTG upper and lower lip - WTG neck. When your comfortable with that add XTG cheeks - upper and lower lip - neck and finally progress to ATG with the same progression.Somewhere in there you will get comfortable and want to push it...DON'T...take your time and learn right the first time and you will become proficient faster with far less blood domains.

7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:transport022:Och Aye the Noo..A Shave Ready SR is the Ticket to Boarding the SR Train..:kar:

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G, Carbide Mike, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

I couldn't have said it better. Even if I didn't understand a word you said. "Och Aye the Noo"????? Please translate for me. :eatdrink013:

Kizurra, Karl G, Carbide Mike and 2 others like this.
  9. Billyfergie

Kizurra, Karl G, Carbide Mike and 3 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

11. Billyfergie

Interesting Question Scott..That's a NO..The English or So Called British Government During the 60s & 70s Had Banned All Scottish History Literature & Culture from being Taught in Scottish Schools..With an Iron Fist I May Add..:D

Billy..:chores016:

12. COMPNOR

I was planning on getting a Whipped Dog. I hadn't considered just doing the cheeks first. So thanks for that. My birthday is in May, maybe then.

Tht's what I'm afraid of. =P

13. DaltonGang

That's a shame. Everyone needs to know their history, and let it be taught in their schools. American history, in American Schools, Scottish in Scottish Schools, Irish history in Irish schools, etc.

14. COMPNOR

What about Whipped Dog's Poor Man's Strop? Decent to cut up, or would I be better off with what you suggested?

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    For your first strop, the cheaper the better. You will almost certainly cut your strop sometime in the first year of using a straight razor, unless you are very careful and meticulous. Newspaper works, and so does a piece of denim from a worn out pair of jeans, even a belt will serve. It's entirely up to you. As you become more proficient, you will want better tools, and that applys to strops as much as anything else.

Just like a bloke who needs a tool for a single project might buy a cheapo from harbor freight, but a mechanic who uses that tool on a weekly basis will buy a Mac or Snap-On tool. If you decide straight razors are your bread and butter, then spend the money to get the nice toys, but until then, you are better off going with what will get the job done, rather than going with the best quality.

Edit: that advice is for strops, not razors. I'd advise getting a shave ready straight razor from Whipped Dog, maybe even two. A wedge ground blade and a hollow ground.

16. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I can't help but think. A Blount straight is liable to teach you all sort of bad habits and then when you get a proper edge on one it will hurt. Start with the shave ready blade. My kids never had training wheels on their bicycles either.

Kizurra, Karl G, Carbide Mike and 6 others like this.
  17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I used a CJB shavette without the blade to practice and build muscle memory in my off hand. Others suggest a butter knife.

Kizurra, Karl G, Joe Ingal and 5 others like this.
  18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I could see where a blunt razor could possibly help with learning to strop.

Kizurra, Karl G, Joe Ingal and 4 others like this.
  19. DaltonGang

Practice with blunt instruments, if it helps relax you about using straights. Then jump right in, and enjoy.

20. Joe Ingal

Joe Ingal Member

I am new to SR shaving also. I've been doing it for about 6 mo. now and still cut myself. IMO spending money on a practice SR or buying a shavette isn't worth the money. SR shaving is a lot more tricky for me than DE. Shaving soap used can be the difference between getting cut and not cut. It is the same with your concentration, having a steady hand and technique. A quality razor, new or used is a must. The Resolution uses a stainless steel blade used in kitchen knives. The reviews on them have not been good. A new Dovo can be bought for under $100. Dovo, Boker and Theirs Issard are the only new SE's I would consider buying. There are other SR manufacturers but they cost $300+. I have a 1/2 hollow carbon steel blade Dovo and a #41 Stainless Steel full hollow Dovo. The #41 is the most forgiving, most comfortable and has the best feel. It is also more expensive, about $150.00, but what's your face worth? A quality refinished used SR can be purchased for about 1/3 the price. Not all stainless steel SR's are the same. If you are going to purchase a stainless steel razor, get Swedish Stainless Steel that is specifically designed to sharpen like carbon steel but have the rust resistance of stainless steel. It is layered steel. Kitchen stainless steel takes a long time to sharpen and dulls quickly. Carbon steel rusts quickly, especially if kept in the bathroom. Any quality SR, new or used, stainless or carbon steel will last a lifetime for generations if properly cared for. Unlike DE shaving, SR shaving requires getting used to holding the razor in some awkward positions. I suggest using a very dull butter knife. Have the blade side up with the thumb on one side of the blade, three fingers on the other side near the handle and the pinky on the bottom of the handle blade side. Then scrape off the lather on your face with the back of the knife. Holding an actual SR will be a lot easier because the handle folds. Watch all the How To Shave With A Straight Razor videos on YouTube.com. If buying a new razor read all the reviews you can find. If buying a used razor, get all the info you can on the specific razor. I hope this helps.

Kizurra, Karl G, Carbide Mike and 3 others like this.