Boot's Silver Plated Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by onotoman, Apr 15, 2011.

1. onotoman

onotoman Member

I've been collecting English-made razors (single edge DE and Straight) for a while now and I recently acquired this really nice 1930s Silver Plated Razor.

There are no maker marks on the actual razor (it's only marked MADE IN ENGLAND) but was clearly made for Boot's The Chemists as it came in a lovely silver plated case with Boot's Branded Blades.

The razor is unused and has 10 unopened blades in the blade holder.

Jesse Boot founded Boot's The Chemists in around 1885 and one of his visions was to stock high quality products at a reasonable price by buying direct from the manufacturer.

He's certainly achieved that with this razor :)

I haven't tried shaving with it but I'm sure it'll shave as good as it looks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Wow, really nice.The style of this razor is between luxury and functionality. Hits the right key for me.

3. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Wow, what a unique and beautiful score! Gorgeous razor!! :D

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Very nice razor!

Boots reminds me of the Britcom Are You Being Served? for some reason.. :happy097

5. onotoman

onotoman Member

Indeed - Same type of long-established store like Macy's or Gimbels. I have a couple of vintage Simpson's brushes that are branded 'Gimbels' but that's another story :)

6. onotoman

onotoman Member

Thanks guys - I've yet to give it a try, but it's on my list....

7. sas71

sas71 Member

Toilet Department :happy102

8. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Sweet looking razor-looks like a Gillette Old.
    Please let us know how it shaves. I've used a few of my old razors that
    were vintage and had never been used. My wife is an antique collector and frowns on that. I have a Gillette Old from WW I in a military case-that's the
    one that I agreed to never use. My other Old's are fantastic shavers, so enjohy.

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Very sweet looking razor and case.

Although the style is a Gillette Old, I haven't seen any old styles in a three piece with a handle like that.

10. onotoman

onotoman Member

I know, quaint isn't it?

Boot's didn't actually sell 'Toilets' as such, so I presume it was what we would now call 'Toiletries Department' or similar ;)