Bought a cheap coffee grinder, looking for input

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Jul 31, 2015.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Was reaching for a bag of Maj. Dickinson and grabbed the beans by mistake...then took a look in appliances and found a Mr. Coffee programmable grinder for $17 and figured why not. I know this isn't near top of the line but does anyone have any experience with it? Will try it out tomorrow morning.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Blade grinders (which tend to be far more affordable than burr grinders) can do the job, but they tend to be inconsistent and often wind up pulverizing (one will quickly make coffee powder if one isn't careful!) some of the coffee. End result can often be an inconsistent grind with some larger pieces and powder.
    Best to grind less time than more...
    I used my old Braun blade grinder for spices now.

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Agreed. I wound up buying one of these
    image.jpg
    It's a counter hog, but it does a great job.

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thank you, gents. I think I'll wash it up and try a few cups tonight after all.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've used it, or one like it. Just remember to run it for 3-5 seconds at a time to avoid heating the beans too much.

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. cmorris357

In my opinion any way you grind fresh beans is better than the pre-ground stuff. Much better flavor.

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I haven't run this one yet but it's "programmable" acc. to which grind you want (coarse, medium, fine). I was planning to eyeball it just the same but now I will for sure.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Kinda what I'm hoping here...if it can provide a better tasting cup of the already excellent taste of ground Peets, then I'll consider it money well spent.

cmorris357 likes this.
  9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Regardless of the type of grinder it is, I think you'll find that you enjoy the coffee.

gorgo2 and GDCarrington like this.
  10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

The Cusinart Burr Coffee Grinder has been very dependable for us, on a daily basis for several years.

p34824.jpg

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just ground 6 cups worth. The manual says about 15 seconds total so I took Plan's advice and did a few "burst" grinds for 3-4 seconds each. Almost all the chunks vanished and the final product did not look like dust, so it's perking now...

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Wow!

Examining the brewed grinds, I see that I could have buzzed them a little more but the result from this first run is noticeably more flavorful than the usual bag o' Peets. I'm sold. And it's pairing wonderfully with my pipe tobacco-ish vape. :)

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Sounds like you're about ready for the next step…
    [​IMG]

gorgo2 likes this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same one I have. Being going strong several years, as well.

Boojum1 and gorgo2 like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Had one for a number of years. Eventually it began pulverizing (making too much powder) the beans and since the burr replacement cost on the unit wasn't justifiable, moved on to another make.
    The Cuisinart had to be one of the LOUDEST household coffee grinders I've operated.

Boojum1 likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I keep a pair of 33db attenuation ear muffs in the kitchen for this.

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

From $17 to that is the next step?! We don't drink nearly enough coffee to justify it, even if it were within our $ range.

HolyRollah likes this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It's coffee time!
    [​IMG]

19. cmorris357

It only costs about as much as 3 large Starbucks coffees.

gorgo2 likes this.
  20. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Replacement cost is very reasonable (under $60) considering how much use it gets. We're on our second machine. It is loud. When our young granddaughter was here we would take the machine outside to grind coffee.