Bought my first DE razor today, a Gillette Super Adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gymbo88, Jan 21, 2014.

1. gymbo88

gymbo88 New Member

I've been using disposable razors since I started shaving, in 1972. I decided to purchase a a DE razor, but figured I would just pick up a used one, to test the waters, as I am also a head shaver, but don't know how well it would work out. I bought I used one on Craigslist for $10. It turned out to be a Gillette Super Adjustable,( short handle, I guess), with a "U 2" code on the inside. I have not used it yet, but want to know if this is a reliable decent quality razor? Also, I know everyone has opinions on blades, is there a good all around quality blade, and how much life should you expect to get from these blades vs disposables? James

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

That's a pretty good choice for a first razor! I'd suggest turning it down (say 2 or 3) in the beginning and once you're getting comfortable shaves, then try turning it up. For blades, try a sampler pack. If you need some suggestions for where to find them, just ask and there will be plenty. You can get one right here BTW. Just click on "Shop" above. Oh, and as far as blade life, that depends on lots of things. Some guys change blades every 3 shaves and some can make them last a week. In the beginning, I'd say don't push them too far.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Ten dollars? Wow, sounds like you got a great deal! The Super Adjustable, along with its predecessors the Gillette Slim and 195 (aka Fatboy) are very highly regarded razors.

OK, so here is my opinion on blades that are among those worth trying: Derby, Polsilver Super Iridium, Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum, Big Ben, Lord Super Stainless Platinum Class and Super-Max Platinum. That being said, what really counts is your opinion. What works well for one fellow might or might not work well for another. Trying different blades is the best way to find out what suits you best. There are many different blades available beside the ones I mentioned. You can buy a sampler (The Shave Den Store sells one, as do many shaving equipment vendors), or even put together your own by purchasing individual packs of blades.

Honing one's shaving technique beforehand is important. GDCarrington's 30-day rule is a very useful starting point.

fzrider and GDCarrington like this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent acquisition and you have done well for yourself! You have sound advice from the gents above, and I agree that you should not push blades early on. Three to four days max but if one starts to tug rather than cut clean toss it; even if it is only one to two days in the razor because that leads to early problems of weepers and nicks. As to blades, get a good blade sampler. The one in the link below is an excellent value and provides a good cross section of factories to start with.

http://www.theshavedenshop.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=213

Oh and one more thing,

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

5. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

Great deal and one of the best razors I have ever used. You'll be very happy! Welcome!

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den.
    Be sure to sign up for the January Newbie Give-Away.

I agree - you got a great deal on a great razor! Here's my advice to folks new to using an adjustable:

Shave 1 - set at 3, complete shave, evaluate
    Shave 2 - set at 4, complete shave, evaluate
    Shave 3 - set at 5, complete shave, evaluate
    Etc., etc., etc., So let it be written, so let it be done.

Continue that until you hit that one setting that is just a tad too aggressive. Back it down a notch and there's your sweet spot. Work on your technique and then start playing around with the different settings.

7. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got a great buy on a great razor, and you're getting great advice on the blades. I wasn't looking for one but had the good fortune to luck into it, and love it. Also, we like to see pics of razors, if you get a minute.

8. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Beautieful find, your razor Sir is in many opinions, including mine, among the finest.
    As far as blades, wow! Now your journey begins.
    Personaly, my super adjustable loves the el cheapo persona's from the dollar store while all of my other ones hate it.
    The Gillette Silved Blue's and Astras are also favorites .
    Just an observation but myself and most others hate the Derby blades, they dont seem to work for the majority of us.
    You however, will have to find what works for you.
    Like the members have suggested, grab you a nice sampler pack and go to town, just make sure you share your findings.

Welcom to the Den frirnd.

9. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! You've got yourself a fine razor there. I think your blade question has already been answered by other members. "Large Sample Pack"

10. EFaden

EFaden Member

Congrats on your purchase. I actually am using a Slim Adjustable as my daily driver right now.

Cool Breeze likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:signs046: To TSD! That's a great razor. Excellent price. Super advice from all above! Happy shaving.

12. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

Yea but I dunno if he wants to try a 5 setting on only his third day of de shaving lol I remember my third day the sink had an amber tint to it lol

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    tsd_welcome.png Congrats on the Super Adjustable.

14. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

Welcome to the Den!! I have one of them as well and it is a great razor!! As everyone has stated try a sampler pack for blades.....my personal favorite is Astra SP's which work equally well in all of my razors.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If it's the only razor he has, now he knows 5 is too high. Just back it down to 4 and continue to work on technique. Come back to 5 or higher later.
    That's the beauty of the adjustable over a fixed head razor. If the fixed head is too aggressive, you're stuck with it until you can find another razor. And even then the next razor you find may not work for you. With the adjustable, just adjust it! :D

16. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

I am also a head shaver and I have found for me that I can get between 3-4 DFS from a single blade. Blades that's one you will have to find for your self. Everybody has their own favorite. Grab a good size sampler pack and make your own decision. Here is when a lot of members will get a chuckle at 9 to say 50 cents on the high end think of all the money you can save. Take your time master your technique enjoy your shave. Welcome to the Den.

17. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den!

18. casper

casper Member

ten bucks, good deal. i sure paid more for mine. i do like it, but dont think im gonna hang on to it. i just like my slim alittle more. blades could be alot of fun, or a big headache. trying to find one you really like may be the first one you try to the tenth one. i alway seen the wilkinson sword classic and just always overlooked them, well i just tryed them the other day, and so far, really good. but hey do it your way, load that adjustable up and go to town, youll get the hang of it pretty quick. heres the one i got the other week. should be the same as yours, a short handled one. i like the looks of these ones better.

CIMG2981.JPG

19. gymbo88

gymbo88 New Member

Thanks to all for the great advice. I'll have to try a few blade brands, until I come across one that does the job. I can get satisfactory results on a face shave with the Personna Platinums that I am using, but can't seem to get a close enough head shave. Just a few questions; Is there an up side to the blade when you load it into the razor? I just want to be sure I'm not loading upside down! When using the 1-9 settings on the Gillette Adjustable DE, should the razor be set, before loading and locking the blade? (Tried to find directions online for the G.Adj. DE, but came up short) What would a normal comparable setting be on a DE razor without adjustment settings? If I feel I'm not getting a close enough shave, would a higher number setting be in order?
    Thanks again folks, for your indulgence..this is still a bit new to me.. James

20. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Welcome. You got an excellent vintage Gillette...enjoy.