Bought Three Packs of Astra Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Not for me.

Blades are very personal, which is why blade sampler packs are great.

@OP: I am not a big fan of Astra blades, but *for me* some other Russian blades (like the Rapira Platinum Lux) work great in the Schick Krona.

Engblom likes this.
  2. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I have never used Perma Sharp but I've heard many great things about them. I have 100 packs of Astra SS and Rapira Super Stainless along with 80 Rapira SSS, 3 tucks of Voshkod, 3 tucks of Gillette Ruby Red and 3 tucks of Ladas. So I should be good for many many many years !!!

Bird Lives likes this.
  3. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

For me the first time i used the SP i was left burning and irritate. Tried a second blade but tried paying more attention to my technique and all was well so i ordered a hundred pack of those, gillette silver blue and derby extra.

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

4. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Astra SP are sharp maybe not as sharp as Feather but still really sharp. I like them but depends on the razor. My Merkur 34c gives me an outstanding shave with the Astra SP but my Muhle R89 does not. Remember sharp does not necessarily mean smooth. I'm getting some of my best shaves now from Ladas and Nacet blades. As my technique improves over time - my choice in blades keeps evolving. I have a rather large inventory of blades - mostly Russian - so I can constantly try different ones.

5. Opie

Opie Member

I want to try Astra blades, but haven't got my hands on them yet. I'm using Derby right now. A guide I read recommended Derby and Astra as good blades for beginners and those with sensitive skin. I am both.

6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Uh Ohhhh....now you need to try a Schick Injector or a GEM SE....:happy102:
    Stockpile goes back to square one....:happy093:

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hi Opie! Welcome to TSD.

Astra SP is basically the "bang-for-buck" champ in DE blades. Derby is an exceptionally smooth blade, but it's reviews get skewed negative because it's the first blade many new guys try in a safety razor. If you are getting good results with Derby, I'd say stick with it, it's a blade that works well for me. However, Astra is worth a look, as is Gillette Silver Blue and Voskhod. The main thing is master the concepts of skin stretching and attack angle. If you have rock solid technique, just about any blade will do!

Opie, Bird Lives and brit like this.
  8. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

I have Astra SP and SS but I always end up reaching for the SS. I used the SP exclusively and one day I tried an SS blade from a sample pack and the difference to me was YUGE

Bird Lives likes this.
  9. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

The Astra blades are great, I've used SP and SS and couldn't tell a difference.

10. brit

brit in a box

i use SP s alot,and am having great shaves in my gillette techs. i have SS as well but haven t tried them yet.

11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I don't see Derby blades as suitable for beginners. They demand at least some technique (and then still they are 'love or hate' blades). Astras are much more middle of the road.

Edit: Bama Samurai already said it very well.

12. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

Who ever reads that Chaddy user's posts saying I'm a troll, just don't believe it. I've never been on a shaving forum site before, I just got into double edge shaving a couple weeks ago, he never sent me a razor, I never met this Chaddy before, and as far as I'm concerned he is a troll. It's sad to see users like that make up stuff just to get a newcomer to double edge shaving banned. It's okay though I know I'm right.

13. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Astra SPs are my current go to in my DE89. I might have to try the SS.

Christopher Powell likes this.
  14. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I used to be a huge sp fan until I used Polsilver SI blades.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

15. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Granted, Astras give me better shaves in some razors than the Polsilver. It has many variables. The Astras blades are a great start though

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

16. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Whatever Bama says is gospel as far as I'm concerned...

When I was trying Derbys...the first few I tried knocked me out...but then I started getting blades with print that was so light I could hardly read it, and any of the blades with the light print shaved like the first d was d6 :eek:

I don't know what was up. Maybe inconsistancy or maybe counterfiets...I don't know but I bought some more and same inconsistancy...So I wrote them off....But that was like 6 years ago...Could have been alot of counterfiets out there then...

But the blades with the thick print, all were excellent...super smooth...I called them the Prince of Cool, Blades.

Comment to OP....another vote for Astra SS Blue Pack! Now these were very consistant! I never got ONE off blade...