Bowl-lathering creams

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Yehuda D, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Guys, I know it sounds a bit silly for me to start a thread like this because I've become an almost exclusive Stirling soap user. I still do enjoy certain creams every now and then so I intend to keep them. Up until now I've been using this method:

1) A dab on both cheeks and my chin.

2) Wet the brush, shake or squeeze off some excess water.

3) Whip up my lather.

4) Shave.

I've never been a bowl latherer per se but I noticed that certain creams such as Top Ten Menthol and Sensitive, Viking Sensitive, Musgo Real, etc seem to be good candidates for bowl-lathering because of their consistencies being thicker and slightly harder in textures. I have an empty Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill container that I purposely kept to use as a lathering bowl so can anyone of you wonderful guys who has experience give this poor old guy some advice on how to whip up a winning lather? I'd really appreciate any suggestions! ;)

2. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

My first and second wet shave products were creams: AOS Sandalwood and TOBS Sandalwood. Then I grabbed an AOS unscented. What I do is put an almond sized amount in a bowl and just treat it like a soap. I do add some water but because the cream is already hydrated some, I use less to start. Then, I test small samples with my fingers and add water to the small sample to see if I can add more or not.

RetLEO-07, mrchick, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  3. Yehuda D

Thanks Frank. :)

4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Oh, before I forget, the only one I do differently is Castle Forbes. I use about a pea size or less. In fact , a very light swirl of the brush 1-3 times around on the surface of the cream is all you need to make 4-6 passes of lather. Just enough to 'paint' a few tips is enough.

I am sure you can do the same with other creams but you might need to load more.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Yehuda D likes this.
  5. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I just dip the brush bristles in the tub then go to the bowl and build my lather. If its a cream in a tube i just put an almond sized amount in the bowl and build the lather.

Yehuda D likes this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Well this could be an excuse to buy some really cheap cream and experiment with your technique. This should add some renewed excitement into your shaving. Just think of it as if starting from scratch . ;) have fun sir

Yehuda D likes this.
  7. Yehuda D

How foolish of me not to mention that none of my remaining creams are more than budget-priced, except possibly the Musgo Real if you want to consider that one more expensive than a budget cream.

Guys, your tips are very appreciated and I think they'll help me a lot. :)

theFAT98 likes this.
  8. theFAT98

I have a lathering bowl with rings in it at the bottom. While i shower i soak my brush in the hottest water from the sink.

After showering i dump the water out and add some cream to the bowl. Then dip my brush in the sink. Ring almost all the water out of it and go to the bowl. If the lather seems dry i dip the bristles in water and go back to the bowl. Do this until the lather is the consistency that you like.

By the way. Tobs avocado is the best cream ever made!

Yehuda D likes this.
  9. Yehuda D

The only TOBS creams I tried were almond and sandalwood.

theFAT98 likes this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Trumper "Limes" followed by TOBS "Coconut". :)

Yehuda D and theFAT98 like this.
  11. RetLEO-07

Some great advice above Jeff. I've really got nothing to add. But I'm going the other way lately. Creams to soaps!
    Having fun mastering this new technique. You do the same. And give my regards to your Dad, and tell him to hang in there.

Yehuda D likes this.
  12. theFAT98

I have trumpers rose and its good. There is just something about the slickness of avocado though.

Yehuda D likes this.
  13. Yehuda D

Thanks so much for your kind wishes - it makes me feel so good that you're concerned!

Paul Turner likes this.
  14. RetLEO-07

I've been where you are now. It's no fun. You hang in there too!

Yehuda D likes this.
  15. Yehuda D

Thanks my brother!