Bowl or Not?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Steve C, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Try lathering on your face. Bowl are not a necessity, and you may find better lather without.

2. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

This.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've probably tried face lathering at least once every year for the past 8-9 years.
    Just don't like it. Don't like how it feels. Don't like how it lathers. Just don't like it.

But that's me.

4. Bama Samurai

By all means, use a bowl. I have in the past. Just want newbies to read of all the methods. Only two types of lather in my world, adequate and inadequate.

5. swarden43

Amen!

6. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I usually use a bowl but you definitly dont need one. I have used my face and from my limited experience it seems my snythetic are easier for face lather.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

RyX, Terry Williams and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I usually get a lather that I like better by whipping it up in a bowl. I've got soap in their original tubs, in pucks and some creams. With creams I dip the brush or squeeze from the tube, then whip up a lather in a bowl. For croaps or hard soaps I load up the brush from the tub and whip up a lather in a bowl, but sometimes I face lather. I put pucks in mugs; I load up the brush and whip up the lather in a bowl if I can get a better lather there, but most of the time I whip up a lather in the mug and swirl or paint it on. But, sometimes I face lather. You know, every now and then you have to be a rebel. :) You'll figure out what works for you. I usually clean up excess lather from bowls or mugs because, well, that's just me. My S.O. prefers me to clean up as well.

chevyguy likes this.
  8. Triplemilled

Triplemilled Member

I hate face lathering, I think it's all about preference tbh. I hate how face lathering feels even with the softest of brushes. Bowl or scuttle lathering forever!

Terry Williams likes this.
  9. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Unless you over slept that morning and only have time for a one pass shave. That's when I use my easiest to lather soap and do a quick face lather.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Everyone has their own preference - mine is to use a bowl. If you keep the puck in a cup, load the brush and then apply to your face - you are essentially doing a face lather - which many folks do and enjoy. I find I get a more dense/richer lather by loading the brush and finish in a bowl. Below is a photo of my Captain's Choice bowl made for this purpose. Happens to be Tabac Soap in this photo. I keep all my soaps in their original "tub" or container. If I buy a separate puck, I then store it in a pyrex (or other brand) 1 cup storage container which has a nice lid that seals well.

Most soaps take about 30 to 40 seconds in the bowl to reach a quality foam. You will find different soaps will take more or less water - you just need to experiment. Also the type of brush will affect the process. My boar brushes make better (and quicker) lather/foam that my badgers. The photo shows an Omega boar brush.

As for any residual foam left in the container - I just clean off the outside of the tub/container and let the foam on the inside dry. Then I put the lid back on. It will turn back into foam the next time.
    Tabac.jpg

Terry Williams and jtspartan like this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

this is by far one of the best lather videos and techniques out there!

12. swarden43

I can't remember the last time I over slept. I usually wake up about five minutes before my alarm goes off.

If I don't have time to have my shave my way, I don't shave.
    And if I ever do over sleep, I figure I'm late anyway, might as well enjoy my shave my way.

Terry Williams and Linuxguile like this.
  13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I also like this one

14. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I agree that you can use just about any bowl you have around the house - however, in my option, the ones made for this purpose with some sort of ridges do help in the process and speed it up. Below is the Captain's Choice bowl showing the circular ridges. Instead of circular motions with the loaded brush - I go back and forth across the ridges and get great results. Also I fill the sink with hot water and let the bowl sit in the water for a minute while preparing the rest of the set up. I also soak the brush in hot water. Between the two I get a nice warm lather. Interesting that we all have our own little ritual. Nice.
    Dec 2, 2016.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  15. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

Ya know, the thing is........in the end, no matter HOW much lather you build up, the soap that ends up on your face MUST be relatively thin, so that you are not shaving soap, but in fact, shaving HAIR.

There's really (imho) not much need for a merange-type build up.

I "get" the fun of having a variety of odors to try though. I wouldn't judge it on foaming however. Just smell. The ones my wife says "yum" to, mostly.
    She LIKES the Bay Rum !!!!!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

A very discerning woman! Sounds like a keeper! :)

17. swarden43

There is TOO thin, however. If I had to make the choice, I would take a thinner lather than a thicker lather. Thicker lather can be too dry and/or airy.

And I don't do soaps with "odors." Too negative sounding. I prefer my soaps to have a scent! ;)

18. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I like it when my soap makes a yogurt-like lather. I can get something that approximates that better by whipping up lather in my bowl. I want the guy in the mirror to look as much as possible like the old guy on the brick of Cella or the guy on the bottle of Fine aftershave. Thick and pillowy. If I get lather like that then I know I will enjoy my shave. Generally. As long as the razor wipes my face clean and I notice stubble in the sink full of water or I don't feel whiskers on my face when I brush back with my hand, then I'm satisfied. Takes me 2 or 3 passes anyway. I have had a situation where the razor got so clogged with soap that it just wiped the soap around my face and the soap didn't allow the blade to touch my face. I chalked that up the brand of soap as it doesn't seem to happen with any of my others.

This is one of my favorite bowls, but I have a couple. It's not to big for my hand. The texture keeps if from being slippery. I can use it for my cereal in a pinch.
    IMG_1881.jpg

SpeedyPC likes this.
  19. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

"Scent"

I stand corrected

20. Bama Samurai

Hard to explain, but lately with open blades, my preferred lather texture is somewhere between yogurt and latex paint. High water to air ratio. Stuff that would clog DE.