Bowl or scuttle

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by fozz77, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Leon

Leon Active Member

That's genius! I'm picking one of these next time.
    I've bookmarked it.

2. Poacher13

Poacher13 New Member

That self watering pot looks like a neat idea.
    Might have to try out on of those.

3. Malacoda

Malacoda Active Member

A guy on eBay who goes by the seller name rbecker13 occasionally puts up ceramic scuttles he makes for $20. A bit more expensive than the Amazon dip bowl set but only about half the price of a DirtyBird or Georgetown pottery.

Just stumbled across this earlier today so haven't had the chance to pick up and try it for myself but someone over on B&B was very happy with the one he got.

4. I have a Dirty Bird and a Georgetown. Both are great and each worth their cost.

5. mike72

mike72 Member

i haven't yet, but i plan on getting a dirty bird, from what i have read they seem like the best one's for the money.

6. dmyers

dmyers Member

Has anybody else pick up one of these. It is a painted aluminum bowl sold @ Walmart in House wares for about $6 Its diameter is approximately 1” larger at the top than the bowl that comes with the VHD Shaving Gift Set. I picked one up and will use it for bigger pucks such as the Tabac I have on order as I understand that it is bigger than the VHD Puck, though do not know how much bigger?

7. Have you tested the paint for lead ?

8. dmyers

dmyers Member

No, I would I go about doing that? Of course 90% of the goods WallyWorld purchases for its shelves comes from China, kind of makes me wonder?

9. There are self-test lead kits available. I've used the "Full disclosure" kit on some dust that my employer suspected was lead containing.
    Unfortunately, the accuracy of these tests is suspect and its probably cost prohibitive to purchase in the first place. Personally, I wouldn't trust anything except a certified laboratory to give me lead results or... an accurate Pb test could be performed using an X-ray fluorescer (XRF)... but good luck tracking one down...

If you want to know for sure that your scuttle doesn't contain lead, the best way to do that is to get one from a reputable source.

10. EFaden

EFaden Member

I have tried several mugs and have settled on a small kitchen bowl. The mugs were too deep and I got hand cramps trying to make the lather. I really want to try a scuttle though. No matter what I seem to the lather bowl (sink of water, etc), I can't keep it warm.

11. ironbrewer

ironbrewer New Member

I use this prep bowl from crate and barrel. I like the handle.

12. KiltedShaver

KiltedShaver Member

Can someone post a link to the IKEA bowl?? I tried the link, but it was either broken or misplaced. Would like to see the possibility of DIY'ing a scuttle like that.

13. bloodybill

bloodybill New Member

Okay i bought one of the self-watering pots,so how do i use it ,i know i put hot water in it and my brush. do i put my soap in it?

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just from reading the post linked to the self watering pot, you don't want to keep your soap in it. Apparently water will leach from the outer pot to the inner pot. Albeit slowly, but I don't soak my pucks, so I wouldn't want a pot that would.

Keep your soap in a separate bowl, load up your brush from there, then whip up your lather in the inner bowl of the self watering pot. Keep your brush there with the lather between passes to keep both warm.

15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

+1 Steve.

I just bought one yesterday and used it this a.m. and Steve is 100% correct. You could melt your soap in it and use it but you would need to make sure you emptied out all the water and then set the pot seperate from the inner bowl to keep your puck from getting snotty.

My overall impression is that it is awesome for a 5 dollar purchase. I used SC not SS and it worked amazingly well. My only concern is that it may wear on a brushes bristles after a while since the inside of the bowl is unfinished terra cotta clay. Anyone have any experience with this part of it?

16. swarden43

I thought about your last concern when I read this from the link, "the inner vessel is roughly textured (feels a tad rougher than a 1200 grit waterstone)." Doesn't sound like it would be too healthy for the brush!

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You'd have to be applying a lot of pressure.

I never noticed any ill effects to any of my brushes when I used a violet pot as a scuttle.

18. swarden43

Good to know. I was speaking from an assumption point of view. As you come from experience, your word stands! Thanks, Queen.

19. Gambrinus

Gambrinus Member

Ok you guys are turning me into McGyver. My wife thinks I'm crazy(scratch that she knows I'm crazy!). We have a small crock pot and I used it this morning. I filled it with water and turned it on before I got in the shower. Then I took a salad bowl and put it on in place of the lid. WOW! Very nice. The warm foam and the cooling effect of the CO Bigalow was great!

20. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I took pics of my violet pot, figured I post them. And good to know about the finish not hurting the bristles Joanna, tyvm!

Attached Files: