Bowl or scuttle

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by fozz77, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Kevin

Kevin Member

Dirty Bird

Dirty Bird Scuttle....It is at the top of my buy list.:happy088

2. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

I have a Dirty Bird Shave Mug and love it since I started using it :happy088

A scuttle is next on my list and it sure will be a Dirty Bird :D

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hey Bob! How's that pot working out? It's not allowing too much water in to turn your soap snotty, is it?

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You know how some folks report the heat from they're scuttles drying out the lather? Not a problem with the violet pot. Doesn't let in so much water that it ruins your lather, but enough to keep your lather from drying out.

Would also love to hear how the pot is working out for you, Bob.

There is a review if you want to add to it.

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I've been using it since I got it to lather all things creamy. The soap I'm still lathering in a mug but only because I hadn't thought of using the pot. But yeah, it is one of those little five dollar wonders. I love it. And it would take wayyyy longer than a shave in order to let the water to leach through and make the lather screw up and you would have to keep your soap in the inner vessel AND keep it sitting in water inside the outer pot in order to make the soap snotty. I say to whoever has a doubt that this would be the best $5 shaving addition to any den, unless you already have a scuttle.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

SOLD! I've got to make a run to Lowe's tomorrow for a starter for the kitchen light (hopefully that's all it is. I really don't want to have to buy a new light fixture). I'll have to try and remember to look and see what they have.

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

If you can't find one at Lowe's, WallyWorld is where I got mine. I say that because here in MD they a lot of places) haven't busted out their spring planting stuff yet.

8. F.G.R.X

F.G.R.X New Member

I almost feel bad asking this question after all the awesome talk of fashioning scuttles out of 3 screws, a piece of rubber hose and a yoghurt pot, makes me feel like i'm cuttin corners, lol.:happy102

Anyway has anyone tried either the Vulfix scuttle or the Cyril R. Salter Scuttle, can't decide whether or not to buy one and if so which one to buy, opinions?

http://www.shaving-shack.com/product.php?productid=2927&cat=131&page=2

http://www.shaving-shack.com/product.php?productid=2926&cat=131&page=2

personally I think the Vulfix one looks better, ( I never thought I could be a brand whore for shaving brushes but at least the vulfix one shows off who it's made by! I feel so shallow, why o why must I flaunt these names):happy102;)

9. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I recentlty started using the bowl that came with the VDH set in the sink with some hot water. Just fill the sink a little ways with hot water and then place the VDH bowl in there with the cream and you have nice warm lather to use when you need it.

At 8 bucks (5 now at Walmart on clearance) the VDH set (brush, bowl and soap) is a great buy. I haven't used the soap or the brush yet though. I bought a second set to give to my brother to try and convert him to this classic type of shaving.

10. Chimensch

Chimensch Member

Those are Victorian scuttles, from a time before there was running hot water. They won't keep the lather warm like the Moss/Dirty Bird/Georgetown/Schwarzweisskeramik type scuttles.

11. sffone

sffone Member

What works best for me is a 5" stoneware bowl on an electric mug warmer. My lather stays hot from start to finish, regardless of how long the shave takes. This is an important factor because I shave with a straight razor and allow plenty of time for a leisurely, BBS shave every morning.

12. Louis Miller

Louis Miller New Member

I made an estimate that you guys can double check. If people are purchasing ceramic or wood bowls for each of their shaving soap pucks, and they don't need them if they use a scuttle, then the scuttle could be cheaper for them. After you are done making lather, you just wash off the lather from the puck, let it dry out, then put it in a plastic zip-lock bag.