Brand of razor? Or different blades?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by npupplo, Jan 21, 2014.

1. npupplo

npupplo Member

Do higher end brands of DE razors help give a closer shave or is it pretty much the blades? I have a parker 90r and I'm using Derby blades. Making 3 passes 1 WTG 1XTG AND last pass ATG. Have a sampler set of blades so I believe I have most if not all of the popular blades. I have tried so far derby, feather, Wilkinson sword, astral blades. I like the Derby blades cause I don't get any irritation at all while shaving!! But the others I have gotten some irritation while shaving!! So should I eventually upgrade to a better brand razor or keep trying different blades?

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

If the Derby's seem to work well for you, I'd say stick with them for a month or so and let your technique develop. Once that's pretty solid, then go back and try those other blades. As long as your razor is giving you good shaves, there's probably no real reason to get anything else. But if you're like most of us it'll be hard to resist trying new stuff.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

+1 Great advice.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

:happy088: feeltheburn nailed it, nice work, Brian....What is that thing Gary gives new cats...30 day rule? I always thought that 30 day thing was great advice... Hows it go?

5. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

I agree with Brian. Look up GD Carrington's 30 day rule it works. I can get an equally great shave with a couple of dollar Gillette Rubie as my Futur. The technique is very different for both razors but I can get a DFS from both.
    Welcome to the Den.

6. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Derbys while a major brand are very mild, most other blades are much sharper. just a thought but you may be pressing too hard, hence the irritation with sharper blades. Parker razors are quality tools , blade selection is the biggest variable. Just keep in mind a sharper blade takes much less pressure than a dull one, push one too hard and irritation will result.
    The gents above offered excellent advise, usr the 30 day rule and perfect your tecnique as you go.I believe as your touch improves, you will seek out the super sharp blades.

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Razors do vary in aggressiveness, and it's not a function of cost; I haven't used a wide-enough variety to give you much input. Blades and technique really are huge factors. I know we're all beating the same drum, but GDCarrington's well-beloved advice was most recently posted here: http://theshaveden.com/forums/posts/633830/

EDIT: Why, by now, is there not a 30 Day Shave Rule sticky in the Tutorial section? It seems we reference this at least as often as we say "Welcome to TSD!"

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

:happy088::happy088:

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

+2 :happy088:

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I endorse what the gentlemen are saying here. If the Derby blades work well for you and the razor, then get some more Derby blades and work on your technique. It is like a someone learning golf. You would not recommend that person change clubs every two days or so. You would say get your skill level down then begin to work with other hardware. The same goes for traditional shaving, you do yourself a disfavor in not providing enough time to lock in your technique.

Oh, and by the way ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

RaZorBurn123 and JBSharp like this.
  11. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

A close and comfortable shave is dependent upon many variables: The aggressiveness of the razor, the newness/smoothness/sharpness of the blade, the quality of the lather, the hardness/softness/temperature of the water, the aftershave lotion, your technique and level of experience, and so forth.

All the variables are important, but the most important variable is your technique and the the level of experience.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

If it ain't broken. Don't fix it. Now in time you may want to explore other razor/blades. All great advice has been given! Happy shaving!