Broken razor handles and repair

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bookworm, Apr 8, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

The black looks better.

2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Better than? Red, Gold, Green, or Blue? :)

I guess I'll whack off some chunks in different lengths. I mean, this batch would be mostly giveaways. I just haven't gotten much feedback on who might want one. Right now, this is just playtime for me.

Oooh - How about a foot long handle for an OLD? Think that would shave the legs well?

RyX likes this.
  3. RetLEO-07

There was only Silver and black in the post

4. Bookworm

Ah - I have a source for kevlar wrapped ones, and that's available in green, blue, red, silver, and gold - I think.

5. RetLEO-07

Gold might be good on a NEW

6. Bookworm

Okay - When I get to the point of getting the 10mm ID rod, I'll get Gold. I think most of the NEWs were gold coloured. Well, with the fat common bar handle.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I think black would be nice, everything goes with black.

8. Bookworm

Okay. I'll make up what I have in two to three inch lengths, I guess. Keep a couple for myself, give a couple away, and send the rest to @Queen of Blades for the shop.

twhite and RetLEO-07 like this.
  9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

That was the same handle. One pic was overexposed to show the pattern, which made it look silver.

Bookworm likes this.
  10. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Or the back?

RyX likes this.
  11. Bookworm

That might be harder. I don't think you could stretch your arm enough to get the right angle for shaving. I think that'll remain the realm of asking a friend for help, and hoping they don't just put their initials in your hair.

12. Bookworm

OK. I have now cut eight pieces of tube to the lengths appropriate for handles. Now I need a vict... volunteer.

Three approximately 3" lengths, 3 approximately 2" lengths, and one about 2 und ein quarter.

Anyone have a busted OLD that they'd like to try replacing the tube with carbon fiber? (or NEW with the old style ball end handle?)

Once I have that, I'll do the necessary boring to make sure the handles fit. The hoop stress will be _in_ the body of the tube, not at the edge, so they should last a lot better than the original brass handles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    AGHisBBS, RyX, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I will be receiving an old in the next few days. I would love to be your first victim.

Thank you for your generosity

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RyX, Bama Samurai and jimjo1031 like this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I think I have the top and bottom ends of a handle that I took apart because of a split handle.

twhite likes this.
  15. Bookworm

Okay - drop me a PM with the length you want, and an address to send it(them) to. Lengths are right around 2", just over 2", and around 3". I couldn't get exact because I did the cutting by hand with a dremel :)

16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Right on. PM incoming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have a few old types ends and tips. Let me know if you are still needing victims, suckers.. I mean volunteers ;)

RyX and twhite like this.
  18. Bookworm

Well, you see what I have there. I have another rod that hasn't been cut at all. I'm just trying to get a few to try it - that's how many I'll grind out to the right dimensions.

The hole in the rod will be larger in diameter than the OD of the ends - that's deliberate. It'll neck down until it grips the end, and SHOULD socket smoothly onto the ends. The purpose of that is to move the hoop stress further into the tube, rather than risking breakage at the end like the brass tubes.

19. Bookworm

@Jorvaljr - if you'd like one or two, just send me a PM with a length and address.

RyX likes this.
  20. Bookworm

It may be a day or so before I get them in the mail; I need to use the grinder on each one, and that's a little tedious to do it right. (I'm grinding carbon fiber, so I use slow speed, and keep it wet.)