Brush Recommendation

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Bowler Mike, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Bowler Mike

Bowler Mike Well-Known Member

I currently have a Burma boar brush I want an upgrade the bristles come out every other shave. Looking for a good all around brush for under $60. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Boar - anything from Omega or Semogue

Badger - anything from Whipped Dog

Find one you like the looks of. After all, you won't use an ugly brush.

3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

+1

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As far as size and material, know this - there is no such thing as a "face lathering" or "bowl lathering brush. There is no such thing as a "soap" lathering brush or a "cream" lathering brush. There are only Personal Preference brushes.

You're going to get lots of recommendations, but who are you going to believe when one guy says get a 32mm best badger and one guy says get a 20mm boar? They have found what they like best through trial and error. You must do the same.

But, hey! That's most of the fun to this whole traditional wet shaving experience!!

Bama Samurai and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'm in complete agreement with swarden43 a brush just like a razor is a very YMMV kind of thing...You have to try them(razors, blades, brushes after shaves) to really know which you like best. Of course that is the fun and aggravation of this hobby..:happyhappy108: Since price or reviews are not guarantee's a particular item will work for you, I like to start cheap and work my way up. That being said my suggestion would be to give the bestshave.net #6 horse hair brush a try. I've happily used my #6 for the last 3 years on everything from hard soaps to creams, more importantly at $5 shipped you have little to lose and IMO it's certainly worth a try..:)

6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

20140927_091259-1.jpg
    my personal recommendation.
    all purpose, and within your price range.
    highly recommended by most.
    soft, for your face. dense for creams. deep set, for backbone(soaps).
    you won't be disappointed

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I have successfully used an Omega 48 Boar for both bowl and face...It is a monster sized brush, but I have come to love it. It is rather stiff on the face, but I don't see it as an issue. It is my go-to brush. An Omega 48 is about 13 bucks.

8. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

+2
    You need a brush that you like and feels good in your hand.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  9. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Remember this brush is something that you are going to use on your face, you are going to use it, not your wife, not your Father, not your Mother, you and only you. If you are like most of us you will use it or another like it daily. Here is a picture of my favorite brush
    WD01_zpsad91d9c8.jpg