Bufflehead... The MECCA of Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Micho-Mike, Jun 2, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Only if you let it be

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Indeed. :)

PickledNorthern likes this.
  3. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

$100 a cake? Is this the soap made by Tyler Durden?

RyX and Straight razor dandy like this.
  4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

First of all there's a Mecca. It's in Saudi Arabia.

Second of all it's all about different strokes for different folks.

In case you gents don't know it, I'm a poet! ;)

Primotenore, mrchick, RyX and 5 others like this.
  5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Third, calling a soap the "Mecca of shave soaps" is, at best, a mixed metaphor. A "Mecca" is a place that people come to for a specific reason. In that case, Pasteur's Pharmacy in NY might be a Mecca for shave soaps. In this case, we want a word which invokes the idea of ultimate quality/luxury at premium price- something like the "Rolex of shave soaps".

As you probably already know, I'm an amateur pedant. :)

mrchick, CarlfromMO, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

It's very good, not a game changer though. At the price point and difficulty of obtainment, it isn't worth it.
    It is hype-driven, as many have said.

Lance ( @Skinny Rogers ) was spot on.

crackstar and PLAla like this.
  7. Oasisdave

Oasisdave Active Member; radioactive

$100 on ebay for a soap as well as several hundred on Wolf Whisker Brushes and Wolfman Razors.

Are any of those products worth the overcharge you pay on the Bay? Probably not as I assume the people that are paying those amounts are simply ones that aren't willing to put a little time or effort into purchasing them directly from the artisans themselves.

I have all three (Bufflehead, Wolfman, and Wolf Whiskers) all purchased directly from the artisans themselves and all three are among the best soaps/razors/brushes in my den. I also wouldn't hesitate to purchase any of the three again if I had the chance.

RyX likes this.
  8. Straight razor dandy

It all just ends up in a shaved face.

RyX likes this.
  9. Micho-Mike

Micho-Mike Member

That is awesome that you went direct, and it's amazing how the soap can sell for 5X more retail price. I guess anything is worth what someone is willing to pay. I have heard of Wolfman razors and hear there is a lengthy wait to purchase. As for the Wolf Whisker Brushes, never heard of them, but I will do a Google search in a bit. Thanks for the response!

10. Straight razor dandy

Wolf Whiskers are custom brushes made by Peter Wolf and are widely considered some of the best brushes made.

Here are a couple of links and pics to check out:

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/show-off-your-wolf-whiskers-brushes.47744/

11. Straight razor dandy

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Again, as others have claimed: $100 for soap is "far too much," many will claim paying over $100 for a shaving brush is also outrageous. To each his own. We are blessed with an abundance of quality shaving merchandise available today that is only limited by each of our particular budgets.
    If one has a large enough fund allocation to support his hobby, have a blast!

13. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

PickledNorthern likes this.
  14. Straight razor dandy

One could argue that you have your "go-to's" as well.

JR Reyes likes this.
  15. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Not really man. I don't have much anymore...and don't post here often...so I don't see the argument. But you have yourself a good one kid.

16. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

I would love it if he went to a waiting list instead of the quick finger method. Some of us will never get our hands on his soap.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

17. Oasisdave

Oasisdave Active Member; radioactive

I finally got Fletcher on my 3rd try but missed on Tishomingo the other week. Maybe even if at the time of release he had 60-80 soaps available for purchase instead of the normal 40 that I have heard it is it would be easier as well.

18. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Maybe. Who knows though. There could be hundreds lined up.

Waiting list is the way to go. Or raise the price by $10 a tub and have help hired for a yearly large batch.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

100 Washingtons for shave soap. That makes that of Wm.("Bill")Neumann CO. sound reasonable in comparison